Crossbones TV series

Jib

John Malkovich is playing Blackbeard. Woohoo!

Blackbeard has stolen the world's first longitude chronometer, decades before Harrison actually invented it. :huh:

OK, so it's obviously not going to be historically accurate, but it still could be fun.

I am a little concerned with the promo pictures showing John Malkovich with a white beard but taking on the role of Blackbeard... seems wrong but it could be a fun series.

• 2 weeks later...

I do believe that this one is pure Hollywood. So enjoy the show, just don't copy anything in it. And prepare to intercept the inevitable raft of emulators and turn them to the dark side.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

The Black beard with the White beard { :wacko:} who is 49 years old and already dead?

He grew a new head after he swam around Maynard's sloop three times. Blackbeard is hard-core. :lol:

well someone in their 60's playing Blackbeard when he died in his mid 30's doesn't really sound right to me either, but if it is what it look's like then it seems that Blackbeard escaped the fate of what is historically his original fate

Actually, we don't know the age of Blackbeard by period documents. The claim that he was between ages 35-40 is conjecture from a writer on Blackbeard history, Robert Lee, in the 1970s. His claim in on pg 4 of his book (hardcover first edition anyway) and his footnote for that fact is simply, "This is based upon pictures found in books published in England shortly after his death and deductions from general accounts of his activities." Those pictures are certainly those that accompanied Charles Johnson's General History of Pyracy in 1724 - and Johnson never makes a claim to his age, and the illustrator never saw Blackbeard in real life (and neither did any of the other illustrators afterwards) and none of the other documents about Blackbeard from the period talk about age. The illustrators just worked with a very minimal description and worked with imagination from there. It should be no basis for giving him an age. More recent experts on Blackbeard, such as Kevin Duffus, point out that this "fact" about Blackbeard originated with Lee and has no basis (but it still gets passed around). A more reasonable estimate would be late 20s, based on a survey of pirates done by pirate historian Marcus Rediker that looked into ages of pirate crew members and looked at ages of officers and such.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in this week's premiere of Crossbones, a new post at Adventures in History on Blackbeard's other Caribbean hideouts in the Bay of Honduras, also frequented by many other pirates of the era:

http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/crossbones-preview-blackbeards-other-caribbean-hideout-by-greg-flemming/#more-665

Watched Crossbones. It was as to be expected. They throw history out the window with both black beard and Edward Low. History aside I found it fun. They don't spare the brutality of the pirates. The concept is interesting though I think the put a bit to much weight on a navigational device. All in all it's a series about pirates I can't complain.

It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow

www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com

I liked the language and dialogue a lot! I know that for a show like Crossbones to succeed it will have to up the action which may detract from the storyline.

• 3 weeks later...

While not a great show I still have hopes it will improve. Any Star Trek fans may recall the first season of Star Trek the Next Generation was very weak.

Of course if you wanted to watch this show for the historical content then you are completely out of luck!

Whoever is in charge of costumes should be hanged from the highest yard-arm in the fleet! I especially note the "clam digger" knee breeches....

Carpie

"You will be a brother to pirates and corsairs...."

• 2 weeks later...

I actually couldn't watch the first episode fully so I cannot judge much. But, everything seemed to be so wrong in that 15 minutes I saw. And I am not speaking about anything historical. My opinion is that the sets look bad in all ways, Costumes look like fancy dresses and acting is bad. Action was done poorly too. The plot in the first episode at least was awful. I cannot judge more but the show totally failed to gain my interest.

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

If you read the novel "On Stranger Tides" you discover that Blackbeard planned his death only to return to life in another body.

thanks I just bought it at a dollar store today!

Jake, ye be off on a strange adventure with that book. ;)

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 4 weeks later...

Well shipmates the finale of Crossbones is this Saturday. Two hour finish. The series has not been renewed so it's over, good, bad, or indifferent. Perhaps at least we can see John M with a silver coin glued to his head for a last huzzah!