18th. c. Maritime/Living History Group forming on Texas Gulf Coast

Hi to all,

I am a reenactor of 18th century naval and maritime events, and will be moving to Port Lavaca, Texas next month, having just bought a 30 foot (modern) sailboat (soon to be rerigged for training purposes), with intentions of buying and retrofitting an even larger (41 to 50 foot) sailer in 2015. Before this extravigance however, I am seeking a core goup of people in the Texas Gulf Coast Region (and guests welcome from anywhere) to learn to sail the "little boat" and form the basis of a crew devoted to portraying all walks of maritme life from 1700 to 1799.. The ultimate goal is to reproduce something like a packet boat or dispatch ship complete with able crew, to participate in events ranging from the Golden Age of Piracy to F& I, Revwar and Anglo/American hostilities toward the end of the century. No money is required at this time, only enthusiastic participation and a desire to learn to sail! This organization welcomes all persons of all ages, races, genders, sexual orientations and invites capable people who are physically challenged to particpate. Please contact me directly at m i k e e e e b x @ yahoo.com for more information and thanks for looking.

Welcome aboard Mike!

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Thank you "Bilge" and Jas. for the welcome. Though generally considered bad luck to rename a ship, I am not superstitious in the least (therefore bad luck bounces off of me) and I do plan to rename her. Her present name is "Ariel" and I was thinking "Cormorant." But Cormorant will just be a purely training vessel to get folks out onto the water and learn their basic sailing skills--- By July of this year 2014 it will be re-rigged as a typical 1770s era sloop.) The centerpiece of this group will be the boat I buy in 2015 and I presently have my eye on a number of very reasonable older boats in the 40 foot plus range. Adding a bowsprit of nearly 2/3 the length of the hull, the big boat's LOA should be in the range of 70 feet, which to my mind begins to get fun---but definitely not for single-handed sailing. I expect it will be either a fiberglass or ferrocement hull--but I will slowly rework her deck and interior from stem to stern in wood, laminates, etc.

The weather is awesome for sailing down here in Port Lavaca, the fishing is spectacular. Anyone who participates or visits needs no hotel room--Ariel/Cormorant sleeps 3 comfortably and even the table can convert to a bed for some rugged (and compact) seagoing lad to sleep on. (And yes there is air conditioning). I am presently planning a monthly sail as soon is rerigging is done on the "little" 30 footer..

There are a number of islands to visit. To date, it appears as though the Battle of Pensacola would be the main event we would show for,

Anyone particularly living in Corpus Christi (90 minutes away), Victoria (32 minutes), Houston (90 minutes away) and San Antonio are particularly invited to attend.

I am a believer that Naval/maritime reenactors actually need a boat to get out on the water with--there is nothing sadder than a bunch of sailors, all dressed up with no place to go. I hope this spices things up a bit.

Mike L

mikeeeebx@yahoo.com

Mike -

If you're rebuilding an older vessel you may want to look into the adventures of the 'Luna' project at Colonial Seaport Foundation in Virginia. They're currently re-doing a 1972 Ketch into an 18th century Bermuda Sloop.

colonialseaport.org

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney