Piratey stuff

CaptCat

Just in case any of you were unaware, you can often find piratey stuff at Hot Topic and Torrid, stores in a chain that sell punk & other "alternative" clothing. None of this is period, mind you, but where else can you get t-shirts and patches that say "Kiss Me, I'm a Pirate" and socks patterned with skulls & anchors? How 'bout skull & crossbones bathmats and shower curtains? I even found some fall-front slop-type trousers (with snaps, not buttons-- they're NOT period) at Torrid last week.

Run a search on their website with the word "pirate." You won't be disappointed. But there's more, far more, than you'll find with that simple search.

If you need to see the stuff in person, you can often find these stores in malls. They have location finders on the websites.

(Warning: all their sizes run small, even at Torrid. If you wear a medium t-shirt, I recommend ordering a large, etc.)

Black Cat, Captain of theMatriarch

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

• 2 weeks later...

*squeals!*

I've picked up "Kiss me I'm a pirate" stuff from Hot Topic. Got the patch, which I'm thinking of stratigically placing upon me bloomers, and also the pin (which I've stuck on my hat). So far either no one's noticed the pin or I'm still to spooky to be kissed. *sighs* Maybe iffn' I tried out my "Arrrrgh!" a wee bit before hand or something.

My chief gunner is planning to get a pair of the Mary Jane shoes with skull buckles. We love period stuff, but we also like to collect everyday piratey gear as well! I put my "kiss me I'm a pirate" patch on a black BDU jacket I like to wear around. The ID name tapes on the jacket say "Black Cat" and "Matriarch" :ph34r:

Test everything. Hold fast to what is good. -Saint Paul's first letter to Thessalonika 5:21

I ran the search as instructed, and one item caught my eye in particular - a snazzy t-shirt with a skull and crossed cutlasses for a band named "Flogging Molly"

Never heard of this band, so I ran a search. Seems they have two albums - "Swagger" and "Drunken Lullabies" (great names!) Listened to a few bits - very Irish jiggish.

Don't know that I'd call them a pirate band, but they definitely seem pirate friendly. Just thought I'd share :)

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I have a wonderfully piratical lunch box that I use as a purse.it is all black with white jolly roger with an eyepatch.I have learned that as much as I love it,it makes the people at the bank extremely uncomfotable-I guess they expect it to have a gun or bomb inside.

:ph34r: some people have no sense of humor

you can get it for $12.75 here;

http://www.giftmania.com/g/i/item.html?theId=1197

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Aiee! Flogging Molly is a great Irish band. They're not pirate type music, but iffn' you're into celtic rock or celtic ska Flogging Molly just kicks butt! And they put on a great live show. *happily goes bouncing about doing the happy butt wiggle dance which looks nothing like the dance of a thousand veils, but does some what resemble the potty dance*

*thinks*

oh, bugger all, I can't remember the site now, but I know there's a web site out there that has pirate toilet paper. *looks about for Cookie* Luv, I know you know that site,

Black toilet paper with skull and crossbones on it. heh,

*is currently working on how to turn my bathroom into either a dungeon or dead man's reef* On the Knight's Edge Catalog there's a skull toilet brush scrubber. oh and iron shackles and various other impliments of doom.

and, I'm bringing up random info:

Amazon.com has some nifty pirate DVD's on sale, they're three black and white, silent movies on one DVD. One of them has The Black Pirate, the Scarlet Pimpernel and um..damn you rum! Ye've stolen me memory from me again. poot! The other DVD has the Son of Monte Cristo and yes it is supposed to be Edmund Dante's mini-me.

oh, bugger all, I can't remember the site now, but I know there's a web site out there that has pirate toilet paper.

If'n I guess correctly, you're talking about Fern Canyon Press' Pirate Toilet Paper.

They have lot's of great stuff, but according to the description, this paper is only piratey while in the wrapper - break the seal and you've got standard-fare white paper :ph34r:

I AM BILGEMUNKY

The Flogging Molly logo with skull and crossed swords looks exactly like the drawing on the back of NQG's Pyrate Prymer. I mean EXACTLY. Check it out here and here.

Have you seen this, Jamaica Rose?

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who are interested in getting piratey stuff as well as nautical stuff ie.. socks and shower curtains.. You can find some things from an on line and catalog company called PRESTONS by the Sea.. They deal with mostly general nautical stuff, but, every now and then you can find some things with a pirate theme.. Their stuff is pretty cool. Hope you like it........ The Capt.

I have also checked out the Hot Topic site. For us pirate gals, they have a pair of Mary Jane shoes with skull and crossbone buckles. Also, they have various baby tees with a skull and crossbones. Also, skull and crossbones patches and I believe I saw a purse with a skull and crossbones. Anyhow, check out Hot Topic website for more details.

:blink:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Oh! And there were a few dresses at Hot Topic that appeared to look REMOTELY period. You may have to do a little adjusting to make it better, but some of them look like they have potential. Also, they used to carry a jacket that was a type of frock coat. It was a beautiful black brocade with fancy silver buttons and an elegant cut that would make any salty sea dog look respectable...if that's what you want. Also, you could add button plackets and different buttons and turned-back cuffs at the ends of the sleeves for a captain's jacket. There is also a website called pyramidcollection.com. It may still have the same jacket.

:blink:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would chime in on this topic...

I just love Hot Topic...There is one at the Monroeville mall in Pittsburgh, Pa. Was in there for the first time a few months back...Really fun store.

For more period style stuff check out Armsofvalour.com The Swordsman shirt covers a wide range of periods...It has a collor and laces at the neck...It also ties as the sleeves. I have a black one and the White one is on order.

The best place for boots is a site called Renboots.com. They have some great boots for decent prices. I wanted a pair of boots that were high, and yet I could fold down...The prince John boots fit the bill perfectly. They are a knee boot that will fold over, Not as far as a pirate boot, but they are a great pair for getting started. Only 115 with shipping...and they arrived within 5 days of ordering.

DuCouer

• 2 weeks later...