Things overheard at FTPI 2013

William Brand

I don't know if these exactly count as "overheard" as most everyone heard them but:

"The Mercury Crew is so cool they fart rainbows!" Zatara Delavega (I think) upon departing the Mercury camp.

"It's made of wood...Morning Wood!" Said by Cannibal Chrispy of a certain belaying pin (makes one redefine "belaying", dunnit?) during the auction.

"$69 going once!....$69 going twice!....$69 going all... night...looong!....Sold! for $69!" Same auction.

"it doesn't use batteries...that's what makes it "period correct!" Yet again, same auction.

"Because sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't!" Yeah, that was some auction.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Ha ha. Thanks Jim! I can use those in the Journal. I only touched upon the belaying pin (so to speak) in my account here, but there are SO MANY photos of this part of the auction that I realized I had better bolster that part.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

That last one was, once again, in reference to That Belaying Pin. The names have been withheld due to...ah, why are we withholding the names?

3ff66f1f.jpg

"That's a Key Deer..," said to a small inquisitive child within earshot of two FWC (Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission) officers. The officers were not fooled. Made 'em look, though.

3ff66f1f.jpg

"...bacon..."

Whispered at me by Willie Wobble as I passed his encampment. I was so deep in thought that my mind didn't register the word til I was 30 feet away when I found myself turning on my heal. Willie was smiling as he said, "I wasn't sure you heard that."

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Mission and I went the the ball held outside the fort, with the firm understanding that we'd only go to take a few pictures and then leave again. Within minutes of arriving, Mission said, let's go, but I wasn't through taking pictures, so he walked over to the bar and ordered a drink. Just minutes later I found him again nursing said drink and just as I started to say 'let's go' he blurted out, "I'm stayin'."

"Really? Took just one drink...?"

He simply smiled and nodded.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg