Classic Leather Portmanteau

madPete

I started this project in November and just got back to it. Have some pics from raw state to finished and thought people might like to see it go together

[edit: fixed broken link

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115342383665312639937/album/AF1QipO2zDLPN1ql0yLsTxRlzvTy8_bN8_wOv0XbZckJ?authKey=COzikbHBgPWApAE

]

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...

So awesome! Looks fabulous! 

Did you create a pattern for this? What type and weight of hide did you use for it? 

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

This was my first attempt at a portmanteau after I made a couple map cases. I started with a really heavy leather hide maybe 20oz, its been 10 years so I dont remember exactly. The flap was a slightly lighter weight. You can make them with thinner hide as I've found they hold up pretty well. I've also made 1 or 2 in one continuous piece with the flap.

What I do remember is stitching that heavy leather by hand took a real toll on my hands. I'd work on it a couple hours and have to wait a week to continue.

Even punching that thick leather prior to stitching was arduous, I think the cow got even with me!

I did not make a pattern. I decided how big I wanted it and cut out the ends first. Then I cut one side of the circle which ends up at the bottom so it sits flat. Many you see are round, and attached behind a saddle. But very few surviving examples, most I found are 1800 and later. I cut the main section to the width I wanted, stitched it together, then cut the flap so it was about 3/4-1 inch overlap on each side, and stitched that on the back side.

The side handles are two pieces and make it really comfortable (and sturdy) to hold. The handles are an inner strap that attaches to the end and a lighter weight leather wrapped around the strap and baseball stitched. The stitching is on the inside of the strap so you dont see it. If I was to do it again, I would add a handle on the top like I did for Iron Jon's.

I used solid brass buckles from Tandy, but when I replace the straps (they aren't really worn, but they tend to curl) I will source original style buckles from "Buckle Castings" aka RIchard Lanni

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Here's one that I made a few years ago, but have never used or sold. It's collecting dust. I will condition it when I do my other one and maybe bring it to Ft Gaines for trade: [Edit: its 19-1/2L x 9W x 8H]

20230311_122006.jpg

20230311_122014.jpg

20230311_122029.jpg

20230311_122047.jpg

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Luckily I have one made by Michael and one made by Mad Pete. I can carry one in each hand or both over my shoulders.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)