Coastie04

hmssurprise-640x250.jpg

http://www.thedearsurprise.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2007-10_Reviving_Surprise.pdf

The above link provides an outline of the original histories of HMS Rose and HMS Surprise, as well as the building, purpose, and changes of the replica Rose/Surprise throughout her lifetime. It's an extremely revealing insight to many of the replica sailing vessels and their organizations. I can think of very few tall ships that have not had a change of mission/purpose at some point in their careers.

In short, the HMS Rose was built in 1970 to participate in the bicentennial celebrations in 1976, but was unable to participate the OpSail'76. She was a dockside attraction for many years. In the mid-late 80's she was upgraded to become a sail training ship, finally receiving her certification in 1991. In 2001, she was sold for the movie Master and Commander and converted to HMS Surprise. Many of the specific conversions are outlined in the above .pdf file, and I personally noted that there was increased weight aloft, increased windage (bulking up the wire rigging to look like natural rope) and added sails. I'm not sure if any ballast was added to counteract this weight/windage aloft. After the movie was made, she was permanently loaned to the San Diego Maritime Museum for display and use, in exchange for upkeep. In 2007, after a few more upgrades, she was again given a USCG certification as a sail training vessel and dockside attraction.

One thing that I really liked them pointing out was the change of the boat's missions and certifications throughout the years. This is very similar to the HMS Bounty that we've discussed so much here since her sinking. For a more in depth analysis of the hazards to these changing missions, I'd recommend reading Tall Ships Down (Parrott) for anyone even contemplating building or adapting a boat for replica/reenacting purposes. Personally, I think it would be wonderful if Surprise were to increase their sailing range and perform a sail training circumnavigation over the course of a few years, but that might be asking quite a bit for an older wooden boat that seems to be paying her bills while primarily sitting dockside with Star of India. One can dream, though!

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg