2013 Year End Gift Exchange - Information and sign up

Duchess

And with the above post, I can say that the 2013 Secret Gift Exchange is complete. Thank you to everyone who participated!

This event has been around for a fair number of years, though the numbers of people participating has dropped considerably. We had eight folks this year down from a high in the upper 40's during the pub heyday. While I haven't tracked the statistics as meticulously as participation, it seems that there are more delayed gifts, things not getting sent until well after the new year and more drop outs, folks who vanish completely from the event.

I love this event. I'm not entirely sure why, it isn't high on my list of personal things to reflect about, but I do. It isn't necessarily a lot of work for me but it does span quite a bit of time (on the order of four months this year). I also work hard to make sure everyone gets something, frequently sending out several extra gifts each year. As the number of participants drops and the number of dropouts increases, I've been debating each year whether to continue the event or not. So I'd like to ask the question publicly.

Should we as a community continue the Secret Gift Exchange this year? Why? Why not?

If we do, is there something that I, as the organizer, could do to encourage more participation in numbers and more complete participation by those that sign up? Are the rules daunting? Am I off putting? DEAR GOD DO I SMELL AND NO ONE HAS TOLD ME?! Should there be strict limits on what to gift? How much? Is the vagueness threatening or anxiety inducing? What could make this better?

If you're not comfortable answering publicly, please do feel free to PM me and join the discussion.

Thank you,

Duchess

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like it to continue.

And there is no reason why you yourself should cover all the presents for the people who's secret santa hasn't sent them anything. Next year if this happens let me know and I will also help to send out gifts for the neglected participants :)

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

First off, I think I have been involved 4 or 5 of the 7-fish years I have been on the pub.

Duchess, your generosity with your time organizing is more than you should ever have to give.

All that aside, I do enjoy it and would continue to support and be involved with the gift exchange program.

Michael_banner.jpg

Duchess I am so glad that you are continuing this tradition and in all my years on the Pub I have only participated once. My reason is that I felt I had nothing to gift that was as impressive as the gifts being received and then I painted the Treasure Map for Rumba and realized I did indeed have something to gift in return. This is a Pub tradition and it should continue and to grow. I could not participate this time as I was locked out of the Pub and could not get back in, every time my pass changed it would last a day or so then lock me out again and I had to start all over again. I would be honored to participate this coming year, and if possible know who my gift is for so it gives me more time to prepare for finding it/making it and sending it out in time.

But again Thank You for what you do and continue to do for the Pub! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to continue as well. As for this year's late gifts, I've experience a lot of that this year just due to the postal system, as well as private carriers, being completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of sent gifts. The only thing I can suggest is encouraging gifts being sent out a bit earlier. Also, I still owe you a couple of homebrews...

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the feedback everyone. As it is with most things, a few months of space and time from the frustration makes everything seem easier to cope with. As I said, I love the event, it's likely that barring any personal mishaps, I'll continue to do it until there's just me and some other hapless participant. After that I might just send myself presents.

Bo, my apologies, I overlooked your kind offer to fill in the gaps.

For those of you who haven't participated in the past for a reason similar to what Black Syren shared above, I assure that you need not fret about your abilities. There was a time that this event was mostly hand crafted items, there have been times when it's all been commercially produced stuff. The last several years we seem to have had a little of both. No matter the gift, it is always appreciated and we'd love to have you participate. I'm also happy to work with people want to participate but don't really know what to do or give, feel free to contact me and we'll come up with something.

Again, thank you everyone for your support of the Secret Gift Exchange event.

• 2 weeks later...

No apology necessary at all. Still have stuff in the shed that should be getting used instead of wasting away and collecting dust. I did attempt a couple of shooting bags recently that actually turned out OK. Maybe not all of my abilities are gone after all. I will be glad to help out this year if needed.

Bo

• 3 weeks later...