Small arms

Commodore Swab

I understand that there has been no relaxing on the recently set forth standards involving flash guards and frizzen stalls on small arms despite the historical precedance. By that I mean that there is no historical precedance regarding flash guards. Due to the turnout last year of small arms (I believe it was 1 or at least thats what I heard by spike who was on the field sunday last year) I will not be bringing my tent and tools to tune flintocks this year.

IF I manage to finish the gun IM working on I plan on bringing it and modifying it with an un period correct flash guard and an un period correct frizzen stall so I can fire her

id.jpg

Flash guards on guns is more common than not at most serious historic renactments.... despite lack of provenance it is a safety concern (one that doesn't really fit with the open non-formations pirates tend to use), but it is a norm you will likely want to get use to unless you are content to limit yourself to very few events.

Flashguards aside, if your numbers are accurate, it is pretty sadenning that the trend of the Fort Taylor battle being a canon battle a few small arms showed up for has continued.

Michael_banner.jpg

The problem is that the way the rules are set up, there is little for small arms to do. We can't close with the opposite side and can't do any sword play. Plus, the number of cannon on the field, and the large number of people needed to crew them safely, has decimated the pool of people available to turn out with SA. We wind up with a lame battle, fought by too few people on too large a ground.

Hawkyns

Captain of The Mermayde

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

If, like last year, they put volunteer pirates on the charter boats then guards would not be needed while serving on the boats. That having been said, the wind kicks up a bit out there. I watched my sparks go flying sideways out of the pan quite often. I mounted the flash guard and it helped keep the wind out of the pan.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Yes, there needs to be some balance. I think last year conditions were similar to a perfect storm keeping the small arms out.

Due to the overzealous black powder rules, those that didn't meet the req'ts (due to the difficulty of applying flashguards to arms available for that era) had no choice but to sit or find a slot on a cannon or the ships. If it weren't for the new option to sail last year, there would have been many more sitting out. Also the appeal to sail as a new option drew others with small arms that did meet req'ts.

That, combined with the large number of cannons and crew required, leaves few pirates on the field. although it is good there were so many cannons, as there would have been more sitting out.

Not sure what the solution will be, given the current black powder rules. Possibly limit the numbers on the ships, cannons or both... or reserve those slots for folks who can't meet the black powder req'ts.

Or, maybe its best to just accept that there it is a duel between ship and shore with artillery from the fort and small arms from the ships.

As I fly in, Its difficult to bring clothes, gear, sleeping arrangements and a small arm, so am lucky to be able to borrow one. I have little interest in working the cannons as I do that in Civil war events the rest of the year and am looking to do something different, In all likelyhood i could be sitting out this year also.

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 2 weeks later...

It is begining to look like the new musket may be a real possibility as I got the steel for the barrels yesterday. The musket is a reproduction of a Nock Volley Gun which was made for the royal navy.

The backup plan is to go bucc. wth the snaphaunce musket and wheellock sidearm.

id.jpg

I might be outta place here, but if the Park Service says we gotta use flash Guards (even though we fire in an open formation) cool…

What are their exact specifications for flash guards? (a chunk of metal what…¼ by 3” inch high, of brass or steal bolted to the side of the frizzen ? ) In a close formation such as the Rev War folk do, that makes sense….hey who wants some sparks hitting you in the side of the face…but I guess rules are rules… so what exactly are the specifications for flash guards ?

Why can’t we just cut apart an aluminum beer can, bolt that to our frizzen screw and be done with it…

Thumbstalls (ok wrong name, but the thing that covers the frizzen so the flintlock can’t go off (how it can before you Prime I don‘t know…and once you prime you don‘t move until you fire…)) anyway, some duck tape artfully arranged should solve that problem….

Of course it’s not period… and the Park System is trying to make us play Rev War… but we can work around that (and poke fun at the systems stupidity (ONE RULE TO RULE THEM ALL))

I (and my fiancé Martie ) might be able to get there this year, but why bother paying the extra price to get the blunderbuss there if I can’t do anything with it ?

As mentioned if I fire I will follow their rules even though i disagree. It would be intestering to see what kind of frizzen stall they suggest for a wheellock or match lock both of which I have seen used at the park before. Patrick I guess you will be flying into KW and not MIA. If it was MIA i might have been able to loan you something for the weekend

id.jpg

• 2 months later...

There was a fair representation of small arms on the field and on the boats. That said, it is the parks palyground and we must abide by their rules and regulatons. There were long guns as well as small firearms. I have photos posted on FB is anyone wants to see them. Look under Mike Cuffin, album FTPI-2013.

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!