cannon ramrod hits 4

Bright

http://themoscownews.com/russia/20120716/189964446.html

Four participants in a re-enactment of a Napoleonic war battle near St. Petersburg got more than they had bargained for when they were injured by an accidental cannon shot.

The re-enactment of a battle in the Merevo village ended with four people being treated for injuries after cannon fire on Saturday at the “No wonder all of Russia remembers” festival celebrating the 200th anniversary of Russia’s victory over Napoleon, RIA Novosti reported.

The re-enactors played out a fragment of the Battle of Borodino from the Patriotic War of 1812, known as the fight for the bridge over the Koloch River.

More than 100 people were taking part in the re-enactment, members of military history clubs from Gatchina, Vyborg, the Lebyazhye village, Cherepovets and St. Petersburg.

Accidental cannon shot

When imitating a shot from a fuse cannon with a pyrotechnic charge, there was an accidental shot, and the ramrod flew out of the cannon’s trunk, hitting three men and a woman, a law enforcement source told Interfax.

A 37-year-old St. Petersburg resident was taken to a hospital with an open fracture of his right thigh, and is now in moderately severe condition. The other three were treated for lighter injuries – bruising and burns to thighs and hands.

During the event, re-enactors playing Russian gunners were cleaning the cannon, and a part of the ramrod broke and remained in the barrel unnoticed, one of the users of a re-enactment forum wrote online.

Another eyewitness said that the injured were not noticed until later.

“The cannon fires, then a quick hand-to-hand fight, everyone is happy, everyone is happy, everyone is hugging… I look around,” another user wrote. “See ‘battle losses’ lying on the ground, chatting with Russians… Then from the side of the battery, I heard shouts for a doctor. I thought, ‘Well done, guys, what believable play!”

The ambulance did not appear immediately, but a doctor in the audience performed first aid. The police are investigating the accident. The organizers stressed that audience members were not injured.

“Nothing scary happened, it is a historical reconstruction and anything can happen,” the local tourist center said. “The participants are prepared for it in advance.”

I'm speechless. So much wrong with that story. The rammer broke off (?!) and nobody noticed (?!). Then they fired it into reenactors IN FRONT OF THE CANNON!? Learn from the bad examples of others, fellow pirates, and pay attention at the safety meetings.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

The more I re-read this the more I see conflicts in the story. Burns on the victims? Were they part of the cannon crew or were they other reenactors just that close to the cannon?

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

The story leaves one with lot of questions, more than answers as I wonder if it was even a black powder gun at all as the way it reads .

"When imitating a shot from a fuse cannon with a pyrotechnic charge, there was an accidental shot, and the ramrod flew out of the cannon’s trunk"

"When imitating a shot from a fuse cannon with a pyrotechnic charge" Leaves me to believe it wasn't a real tube therefore not a true gun crew or implements which would explain may of the problems reported. But the actual Moscow news head line reads 4 hit by cannon ?

VODKA! this would never happened with rum. (sorry couldn't help it)

It had to be said.

I really have a problem with the last line: “Nothing scary happened, it is a historical reconstruction and anything can happen,” the local tourist center said. “The participants are prepared for it in advance.”

I'm sure glad that there are much higher standards of safety at the reenactments that I've been to! Yes, there are the occasional injuries when using black powder, as well as the normal slips, trips and falls, and reenactment planners should have some plan for actual medical incidents. However, this reads much more like poor planning, lack of training, and inferior safety measures, especially when nobody noticed right away! It does sound like it was an unintentional firing of the cannon when reenactors were too close to the muzzle, so maybe equipment failure (especially if it was an electric charge or something similar) had a part to play? Hopefully the one with a serious injury recovers fully.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Artillery is inherently dangerous. It wouldn't be fun if it wasn't. But there is no room for sloppy gun handling.

http://artillerymanmagazine.com/accidents.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/33348777/ns/travel-news/t/cannon-mishap-tourist-site-injures-ky-man/

Exeter, Rhode Island

admin http://www.msrefugees.proboards.com/