Tall Ships today.

I be on the look out for the gems out there that be available but not as well known.

Do ye know of one and would like to share ye experiences about it? I especially be looking for someone with experience on the Elissa out of Galveston. Anyone, Anyone?

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Well, I sail the Lady Washington, of course, and have also sailed the schooner Adventuress out of Port Townsend, WA. On the east coast, I've sailed USCGC Eagle, Sound Waters once, Liberty Schooner and Western Union from Key West, and the Bat'kiv'shchyna from the Ukraine (when she was on the east coast after OpSail 2000). Additionally, I've seen a hermaphrodite brig called the Black Pearl (long before the movie) a few times, the Sound Waters (three-masted schooner from Greenport, NY), all the ships at Mystic Seaport (Joseph Conrad, L. A. Dunton, Charles W. Morgan primarily), seen the Europa from a distance, fought with the Hawaiian Chieftain against the Californian and Swift of Ipswitch, raced against the Brilliant, and sailed next to the Zodiac. Just last week, I was privilaged enough to see the Cutty Sark, HMS Victory, HMS Warrior, HMS Mary Rose (what's left of her), and a replica of the Golden Hinde. They were all great experiences, but as of right now, I don't have the time to elaborate on them all. Definitely fun times, though.

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Additionally, I've seen a hermaphrodite brig called the Black Pearl (long before the movie) a few times,

Okay, I know what a hermaphordite in human anatomy means, but what does it mean in ship design terms? :lol:

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

A brig is a type of rig style, identified by the aft mast of two being taller, and both masts carrying squaresails..Sometimes, but not always with a spanker on the main(aft) mast, similar to a gaff mizzen.....Generally foresails between the masts without a boom on them as a schooner....as far as Coastie's term, usually connotates something crudely refitted instead of designed as....

Thanks for the info. I had to read it twice to absord it all, but I'm getting better at it every day. (I also took out one of me models to look at while reading) ;)

~Black Hearted Pearl

What I was referring to is commonly called a brigantine nowadays. An old term is hermaphrodite brig because it is a cross between a brig and a schooner. A crew member called it a hermaphrodite schooner. Pretty much, it's called a brigantine nowadays, but was also called a hermaphrodite brig or a half-brig as well.

Coastie ;)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I be on the look out for the gems out there that be available but not as well known. 

Do ye know of one and would like to share ye experiences about it?  I especially be looking for someone with experience on the Elissa out of Galveston.  Anyone, Anyone?

Why Elissa, Pearl?

Me families homeport be Galveston, so I be lookin for a chance to get aboard when I'm there next.

THE Galveston? As in Galveston, Texas? "Issac's Storm" be a favorite book o' mine, which is why I ask ...

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

Actually, me family lives in Bay City, TX, but Galveston be the closest seaport to handle a Tall Ship. I know me brother has volunteered on her, but he be a chip of me ole pop and think women don't belong on the sea. Sos I be lookin to parleigh me information without their help.

~Black Hearted Pearl

I've been glancing at my old (1999) copy of the ASTA "Sail Tall Ships", so most of these vessel's names I've heard in the last few days!

I'm almost totally inexperienced at sailing.

Can anyone recommend a good, historic-looking (18th - early 19th century) ship that offers short-term (1 - 5 nights) cruises? :P

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Can anyone recommend a good, historic-looking (18th - early 19th century) ship that offers short-term (1 - 5 nights) cruises? :blink:

Capt. William

Why the Lady Washington, Of Course. Contact Grays Harbor Historical Society at 1-800-200-LADY or visit Lady Love - Lady Washington Homepage

~Black Hearted Pearl

I've been glancing at my old (1999) copy of the ASTA "Sail Tall Ships", so most of these vessel's names I've heard in the last few days!

Can anyone recommend a good, historic-looking (18th - early 19th century) ship that offers short-term (1 - 5 nights) cruises? :blink:

Capt. William

If that don' work out for ye William, c'mon an give the Bay a visit! :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good, historic-looking (18th - early 19th century) ship that offers short-term (1 - 5 nights) cruises? :lol:

Capt. William

If that don' work out for ye William, c'mon an give the Bay a visit! :lol:

:blink:

Do the Lady Washington take on pilgrims fer overnight sails?

From my understandin of the ships crew, you have to be on a list thats longer then me, ah well, pretty darn long.

Don't experience play a role on crew fer the LW?

Maybe's I was being led astray in me thinkin, correct me if that be the case.

:blink:

:lol:

i'm not versed in the tall ship directory, but i do know of a few little nautical gems out there.

The Heritage of Miami is a two mast topsail passenger schooner operating under the U.S. Flag. She is 85 feet in length, weighs 47 tons, and is fully Coast Guard inspected for safety. Her design was inspired by 19th century cargo and passenger schooners which once sailed the waters off Miami, the Florida Keys, Gulf of Mexico, Cuba, and the West Indies. (i was booked on this, but they stopped the tours to bad weather)

Heritage.jpg

Wm. B. Tennison is a nine-log sailing bugeye hull converted to powered buy-boat, official number 081674. She is homeported at Back Creek, Solomons Harbor, Solomons, Calvert County, Maryland. Tennison was built in 1899 by Frank Laird at Crabb Island (near Oriole), Maryland. She is 60 feet, 6 inches long on deck, has a beam of 17 feet, 6 inches and a draft of 4 feet, 6 inches. Her wide beam and shoal draft, typical of the bugeye type, is ideally suited for oyster dredging on the shallow waters of the Chesapeake Bay.....Enjoy a leisurely hour with a relaxing sightseeing cruise. On your cruise, you will sail the busy Solomons inner harbor, See Solomons Island and the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory. Cruise past the U.S. Naval Recreation Center at Point Patience and pass underneath the Governor Thomas Johnson Bridge.

tennisontitle2.gif

Pride of Baltimore II was commissioned in 1988 as a sailing memorial to her immediate predecessor, the original Pride of Baltimore, which was tragically sunk by a white squall off Puerto Rico in 1986, taking her captain and three crew members down with her. Both ships were built in the Inner Harbor as replicas of 1812-era topsail schooners, the type of vessels, called Baltimore Clippers, that helped America win the War of 1812 and finally secure its freedom.

Sailing aboard Pride II is a perfect opportunity for those who have a sense of adventure and the desire to sail a traditional vessel. Fee listed include room and board, the opportunity to become part of the crew of a traditional sailing vessel, and the memory of a lifetime. Even if you have never sailed before, aboard Pride II you will fall in love with the magic of traditional ships and the mystery of the sea.

P2HomeImage.gif

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

Do the Lady Washington take on pilgrims fer overnight sails?

From my understandin of the ships crew, you have to be on a list thats longer then me, ah well, pretty darn long.

Don't experience play a role on crew fer the LW?

Maybe's I was being led astray in me thinkin, correct me if that be the case.

<_<

:ph34r:

I'm not talking about crewing. I'm talking about cruising. At different ports, the Lady takes on passengers for short overnight sails. The last one was between Marina Del Rey and Long Beach where she went around the islands (can't remember their name) before docking at Long Beach. It's one of those "not known except by those who already know" kind of things.

~Black Hearted Pearl

~Black Hearted Pearl

Actually, me family lives in Bay City, TX, but Galveston be the closest seaport to handle a Tall Ship. I know me brother has volunteered on her, but he be a chip of me ole pop and think women don't belong on the sea. Sos I be lookin to parleigh me information without their help.

Pearl, there was a woman poster on another board a couple of years back that I thought highly of.

Elissa was one of the major loves of her life. She had a large investment of time and energy in the barque, as did at least one of her daughters, and seemed to have a significant amount of responsibility with regard to training, upkeep of the barque, and she frequently served as helmswoman.

So much for Pop and your brother.

Just go ahead and contact them.

• 9 years later...