crow

Just dropped by to say Hi.

12 posts in this topic

Just landed on the hard and thought I'd send a greetin to all them what are left from the old days, Glad to see yer site is still up and runnin and I wish Ye all Faire seas an Followin winds. Crow.

Welcome yourself back aboard

It's been awhile, but a lot of us are still here. Any pirate news from you part of the world?

By the balls of Zeus it's been three years since last landfall and I just thoughtI would check in, good to see a few of ye are still cruisin and and living on account . In the market for a small ketch so I might head back out for a little more time out, perhaps another three years? Faire wyndes an followin seas. 

On 6/4/2016 at 11:30 PM, crow said:

By the balls of Zeus it's been three years since last landfall and I just thoughtI would check in, good to see a few of ye are still cruisin and and living on account . In the market for a small ketch so I might head back out for a little more time out, perhaps another three years? Faire wyndes an followin seas. 

Well, I've got a handy little cutter that's not for sale (but I could be persuaded at the right price).

Like step-in's back into a time warp. Aye, be Hurricane. Back in Washington state waters with me wife, Krimson Kat. We actually met here 12 years ago and had many a give an' take on many a subject, just can't remember her user name.  Had no idea I would end up marrying the likes of such a fine women. Ahoy all! Hope all is well in your respective waters. Been pillaging me guts out since I got back to the Seattle area. Missed the familiar waters. 

Well, gives me plenty to write about in my second installment of Memoirs of a Buccaneer, I be supposin'. 

Fair winds, following seas and full tankards,

Hurricane

Yes, the Cat 5 of Emotional Wreckage & Human Debris...

Edited by hurricane

Time warps? I know a few things about those. ;)

Good to see you, old friend.

On June 6, 2016 at 9:55 AM, Coastie04 said:

Well, I've got a handy little cutter that's not for sale (but I could be persuaded at the right price).

Well Coastie04 I has found my smallship , although I am rather fond of a cutter rig , but my masthead sloop is rigged so that I can single hand her . Should get me around where I needs to get , perhaps I'll see you out on the water some day. If yer ever off of Point Roberts call out to the Dengue 2 and perhaps we could share a pint or two somewhere in my neighbourhood . 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:54 PM, crow said:

Well Coastie04 I has found my smallship , although I am rather fond of a cutter rig , but my masthead sloop is rigged so that I can single hand her . Should get me around where I needs to get , perhaps I'll see you out on the water some day. If yer ever off of Point Roberts call out to the Dengue 2 and perhaps we could share a pint or two somewhere in my neighbourhood . 

Well, I doubt I'll get down that far south anytime soon, but if you make it up around Point Retreat, I'll sure stand you a pint. Also, most of my sailing is single handed with the cutter rig, though I do admit that tacking can be tricky in lighter winds, as I usually have to run forward to hand the jib around the cutter stay.  However, with the stays'l set, that becomes much less of an issue, especially as that's the last sail I pass when tacking, so it helps the jib slide right up through the gap.  Currently, however, she's winterized and I'm starting in on one of the many winter projects for this 40 year old gal...

Fair winds!

I opted for a plastic boat myself and being as I am usually the only one on board with any sailing experience I may as well be single handing her. All lines run aft to the cockpit and for 39' she's pretty nimble love sailing her and she brings quite a sense of freedom. I just retired so a project boat wasn't to my liking but boats being boats there's always something to do. Blue water capable and all I am lacking right now is a water maker but I do have tankage for 200 gallons of water at the moment. Still pretty warm here so I don't think I'll need to do to much to her for another month, I am hoping anyway. 

Single handing a cutter rig is definitely worthy of respect, fellers gotta have himself about eight arms. lol

Take care Mate and I'm wishing you a mild winter.

In this climate, I'm a big fan of plastic myself.  It's enough work just maintaining what little wood there is onboard (as I have my wooden main hatch in the garage getting an overhaul).  She's a very heavy built fiberglass boat with some classic lines reminiscent of friendship sloops, at least from the waterline up.  As for single handing her, it really isn't too hard.  But then she is just 30' on deck so jumping around like a monkey isn't too difficult (until I'm tripping over the offspring).  The design is blue water worthy, though my boat would need so many upgrades as to make it impractical and definitely beyond my pocketbook.  But she's just perfect for the inside passage (and I'd imagine would be at home in Puget Sound as well), and I wouldn't hesitate much to take her on some coastal passages (of course, there are upgrades and modifications that would be advantageous even for the port hopping offshore---hmmmm why do self tailing winches need to cost so much?).

Here's hoping for a mild winter down your way as well.

Edited by Coastie04