The brig Astrid ran aground near Cork and sank shortly after leaving port. The reports state that an engine failure, combined with strong wind and current were the culprits. All 30 crew and trainees were evacuated safely, and now she is holding fast to the rocks with little movement. surveyors and divers are apparently going to consider possible salvage of the nearly 100 year old vessel, but it's too soon to make any real predictions along that front.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2376754/Major-air-sea-rescue-plucks-thirty-volunteers-tall-ship-Astrid-runs-aground-rough-weather.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/divers-and-surveyor-to-consider-possible-salvage-of-astrid-1.1475208

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

When I first saw the pictures from this, I was pretty sure that some sails had been hastily taken down, specifically the main stays'l, headsails, and fore lower tops'l. I also assume that the mains'l was set, but since that's brailed up to the gaff when dousing, it's hard to tell if it was set before the grounding (but would have likely been to try and stay off of a lee shore). It's still early, but it seems that the captain did order "extra sails to be raised," as well as a mayday, when the engine quit in order to try and save the vessel. I'm really curious how they were motor sailing, and what sails were set when the engine quit. Can't wait for the casualty report to come out on this one. It probably won't be as damning as the Bounty, but I do wonder how the boat couldn't avoid hitting the island that's only about 1000' long (based off of my estimate looking at google maps, so it might have a large degree of error). I do realize that they were close when the engine quit (about 1 km), but now I'm just wondering why, especially if the current was pushing them toward those islands. At least I am satisfied that when the engine quit, an effort was made to sail the boat to safety. It might be the case that there simply wasn't enough time with a mostly trainee crew to set enough sails or maneuver to keep the boat in safe water.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/heartbroken-captain-to-assist-inquiry-into-sinking-of-astrid-29449967.html

Well, besides the tops'l, which I still maintain looks as if it had been set earlier before the ship was in extremis, it looks like I was right about the sail plan. At the very beginning of this video, they were setting the main and had the main stays'l set. Later, it looks like they had struck the main and had the heads'ls set. The tops'l is not furled well throughout the video, so I'm guessing that it had been set before the engine quit, or had been made ready to set and they just ran out of time. Either way, the first half of this video is a great watch. The second half just shows survivors getting off of a life boat and a little interview of one of the rescuers. I hope that there isn't too much damage and they are able to raise this brig again. I've always been partial to brigs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGJC9uFjn0

astrid_sunk.jpg

http://afloat.ie/sail/tall-ships/item/22655-tall-ship-astrid-sinking-investigation-underway

Another good article. Additionally, based off of this article and reviewing the former, I don't believe that the Astrid actually hit the Sovereign Islands. It appears that she hit the mainland, so without being able to counter force 5 winds, a 4-meter swell and opposing current, there was little chance of actually sailing her off of the lee shore. I'm glad they at least tried, though! Hopefully a recovery proves to be possible and ultimately successful.

• 1 month later...

http://afloat.ie/sail/tall-ships/item/23035-tall-ship-astrid-a-sorry-sight-for-irish-waters

Not looking good right now for the brig Astrid. It would be great if she could be refloated, refitted and underway again one day.

astridtallshipwreck.jpg

I still hold out just a little hope, though, since I was almost certain that the Irving Johnson would never sail again after she ran aground back in 2005.

WAVE.jpg

What happens if Astrid can't be refloated? Will she simply be left there indefinitely? Doesn't she pose a navigation hazard?

Since she's hard on the rocks, I don't believe that she's a navigational hazard. Most likely, if she's past the point of being refloated, as much fuel/oil will be taken off as possible, possibly some items will be recovered that have intrinsic value (such as the wheel, bell and binnacle that were found recently), and then she might be left there. I wouldn't be too surprised if they do cut down her rig, as if the wrong wind picks up it might shift the boat under just the right/wrong conditions, and if any of the spars are wooden, then they could possibly drift into navigational water and provide some small hazard (especially with any lines hanging down that might foul props and rudders). I don't know what the Irish laws state should be done, so there is a big question mark there. Another possibility is that the boat will be raised (possibly in sections), still deemed a complete loss, and scrapped for the metal, or maybe refloated as a possible static exhibit if she lacks the structure to be made sailing again. Lots of possibilities, but little information on the internet so far. I still hope for the best, but it's a dwindling hope. At this point, it appears to be a matter of what the insurance company deems is most economically sound.

After the above reply, I did a quick search for more information and found this from Wikipedia's article on the boat:

Extensive damage was found by the diver's preliminary examination of the ship, including tearing and inch-sized gaps in the hull, as well as popped rivets and spread plates.[8] The salvage company Blue Ocean, of Castletownbere, have been appointed to recover the ship.[18] It is expected that the salvage operation will consist of removing around 3.5 tonnes ofdiesel fuel from the ship's fuel tanks, pumping water out of the ship and cutting away equipment including the rigging and masts, before a floating crane lifts the vessel from the rocks.[8] The ship would then be taken to a nearby port to be handed over to the insurers.[19] It is thought that the ship will never sail again, and that it will be written off as a total constructive loss.[8] A month after sinking, the Astrid was still under water.[20]

So, unless there is someone extremely dedicated to this boat with a large pocketbook, or the actual damage ends up being less than initial reports indicate, it looks as if she's pretty much doomed. To re-rig her alone would cost a small fortune!

Looking at that last article, it sounds to me like the reporter didn't understand that "salvage" could also mean "turn over to the insurer for scrap value" as well as "sail again."

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Well, they've lifted her up and moved her to sheltered waters. Now they're slowly draining the water from the hull, followed by the remaining fuel and oil, before putting her on the hard for a more thorough investigation of cause and salvage prospects.

Great video and photos here:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/video-the-wreck-of-the-astrid-is-salvaged-in-kinsale-co-cork-606485.html

Well, she's now high and dry. Photos are out showing the holes (right through the keel!). Note: lots of the rigging was removed prior to salvaging the hull. We'll see if she ever sails again, though...

astridraised1.jpg

astridmontage.jpg

http://afloat.ie/sail/tall-ships/item/23241-tall-ship-astrid-back-from-the-deep-dutch-vessel-successfully-raised-in-kinsale

They got er this far. I would think she's salvage able but then being a land locked land lubber what do I know. My worry is they'll decide they can restore her then choose not to because it would cost to much. Lack of funding for tall ships is about as deadly as the perils at sea.

It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow

www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com

http://westcorktimes.com/home/?p=20923

As I feared, she's headed to the scrap yard to be broken up. DSiemens: most boats can be ultimately repaired if they are at all recoverable. However, it often will cost more to rebuild the boat than to build an entirely brand new one. This boat doesn't have a much historical significance, besides just being old and surviving. I hope they will be able to build a new training vessel that keeps the essence of traditional sail training with the benefit of extra safety measures.