Civil War India Built gun fails

Commodore Swab

I've seen this kind of damage to a shotgun before. It wasn't due to poor construction, but from being dropped on the muzzle and not getting the bore cleaned out before firing. With black powder, and reenacting, I wonder if this gun had been dropped/fell down before the battle. Granted, it was (I assume) firing blanks as opposed to an actual bullet, but the pressure can sure build up if there's any sort of clog in the barrel. It could also be due to poor construction materials, but it has the exact same splitting that I saw that was caused by an obstructed barrel of a decent modern shotgun.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Wow. That is real bad. Looking at the Authentic Campaigner forum, how was no one hurt, including the user? We will have to see some official reports on the cause of this (otherwise, we are just adding to the rumor mill).

Also - standy by for rounding the horn of Cape "don't use Indian-made weapons," again. I suspect several people will start it up again, and just like the horn, will be stormy.

Looks like a barrel obstruction. Still, all firelocks should be proofed.

Yours, &c.

Mike

Edited by MadMike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

Found this video on YouTube by CVA, showing what happens when a muzzleloader is loaded with modern smokeless powder, an obstruction in the barrel, and a short loaded projectile. Quite informative!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmsBF6CXs18&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.