Netflix Pirate themed movies

Jib

Recently while sailing the Netflix shores I discovered a few interesting streaming films that have a pirate theme or similar adventure styled tales. I though perhaps the Pub members could share Netflix gems they have found streaming? We can even share documentaries and historical features.

I found the following:

Treasure Island 1999 (with Jack Palance as Long John Silver)

Treasure Island 2012 (with Eddie Izzard as Long John Silver and Elijah Wood as Ben Gunn)

Treasure Planet, Disney's animated science fantasy version of the classic story.

Rob Roy

Plunkett and MacLeane

Treasure Island (2012) Now that's a strange movie with a lot of twists in the characters roles. Donald Sutherland as a ruthless Captain Flint was good. Wood (Ben Gunn) reminded me of Depp as the Canibal Chief role. Mrs. Hawkins played a more gritty role than usually portrayed. The Squire in this version is just a ruthless, averice poop. Eddie (John Silver) is not your average Long John... The tribal head tattoo and flashy coat were just bizarre for my taste, his wife could have been played by Caribbean Pearl.

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Pirates of Treasure Island (2006) has been streaming on Netflix for the longest time. It's not really "interesting" per se unless one has a keen interest in train wrecks and such. It does feature some of the usual suspects as extras. To quote Jamaica Rose/No Quarter Given "The first five minutes are pretty good... until the pirates on Treasure Island meet the giant cockroach."

Edited by landlubbersanonymous

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the 1999 Treasure Island... has an interesting end. It also appears to have filmed entirely in the UK. Different look for the island.

NetFlix also has Hero's Island, starring James Mason. Definitely not for everyone, although I enjoyed it; it kind of takes a lot of Western movie themes (landowners vs. squatters who turn to "hired guns" to sort out their conflicts), and applies them to a pirate story.

BTW, while Rob Roy is set during the GAoP, and is an excellent movie, it doesn't actually have any pirates that I know of. Just a very, very deromanticized version of the aristocratic highwayman.

BTW, while Rob Roy is set during the GAoP, and is an excellent movie, it doesn't actually have any pirates that I know of. Just a very, very deromanticized version of the aristocratic highwayman.

and one of the best fight scene I've ever seen on film! Rob vs. Archie!

• 3 weeks later...

NetFlix also has Hero's Island, starring James Mason. Definitely not for everyone, although I enjoyed it; it kind of takes a lot of Western movie themes (landowners vs. squatters who turn to "hired guns" to sort out their conflicts), and applies them to a pirate story.

Thanks for tip D. Pretty decent I thought for an older picture on a budget. Potential for a remake if executed with some sincerity.

Pirates of Treasure island is hideous! I saw it as a Blockbuster rental in 2006. The giant insects are so bad it's pathetic.

Hehe. Let's not sugar coat it Mister Jib. It's an abomination.

and one of the best fight scene I've ever seen on film! Rob vs. Archie!

Ditto that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's what I see on Netflix right now for pirate films (that aren't straight up cartoons targeted at children, there are several of those):

U.S. Netflix 12-9-13:

-Hero's Island

-Treasure Island (2012) (TV-Movie, 2 parts)

-Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

-The Pirates of Penzance (1983)

-The Boy & the Pirates

-Neverland (TV-Movie, 2 parts)

-Raiders of the Seven Seas

-Swashbuckler

-Captain Kidd and the Slave Girl

-Treasure Island (1999 TV movie)

-Pirates of Treasure Island

U.K. Netflix 12-9-13

-Davy Crockett and the River Pirates

-Treasure Island (1950)

And if you're wondering why Pirates of Treasure Island is so bad - it's a genre cash in film, MADE BY THE ASYLUM. The name "The Asylum" should give it away and explain everything (if you don't know what it is, look it up, you should know of it). Also, it took 3 attempts for me to get through the full movie (I wanted to see what was in it, sheer curiosity), it doesn't get better and the outrages and annoyed "what?" moments don't let up. You get the occasional so bad it's funny moments though. The strangest fact here is - this is set in the early NINETEENTH-century.

Hope that helps, enjoy your viewing!

P.S. There is a way to access the Netflix of a different country. Let's just say it's as extending a "Hola" ;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just saw that Netflix has Solomon Kane available for streaming! This movie IS NOT historical but much more fantastic. I liked it, maybe you will too!

I loved that movie, I thought it was a descent change from alot of other pirate themed movies. plus james purefoy is just an awesome actor. In my opinion he made the best Blackbeard to date on Black beard terror at sea.

OK, had to watch "The Boy and the Pirates" simply because the main character's name is Jimmy Warren. Now since my Pyrate name is "Captain James Warren, based on my first and middle name, I just had to watch. Take my advice, don't. It's a bit of early sixties fluff involving a genie, Blackbeard and a little kid. Should have been called "The Boy and the Pirates that are Bad Actors."

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Jake -

What version was it that you needed to turn off? Even the 60's Brando/Harris/Howard was not that risque. The kids see more at the beach these days. :huh:

Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

LOL, it was the 1984 version that said it was rated PG!!! I actually finished it yesterday and it was good but by no means PG!!! guy getting killed with a rock to the head, guy with bloody back getting horribly flogged while hundreds of topless Tahitians slice their heads open with sea shells, all kinds of cazy stuff!! I have been looking for the brando version with out any luck, oh well at least I have the book!

Captain Blood. The one that started it for me.

Cutthroat Island. The acting is a bit off for my tastes. But it appealed to my ADD. :-)

Captain Blood. The one that started it for me.

Cutthroat Island. The acting is a bit off for my tastes. But it appealed to my ADD. :-)

Here's what is on Netflix right now for pirate films, updated (that aren't straight up cartoons targeted at children):

U.S. Netflix 1-30-14:

-The Pirates of Penzance (1983)

-The Boy & the Pirates

-Pirates of Treasure Island

-Treasure Island (1999 TV movie)

-Raiders of the Seven Seas

-Swashbuckler

-Captain Kidd and the Slave Girl

-Treasure Island (2012) (TV-Movie, 2 parts)

-Hero's Island

U.K. Netflix 1-30-14

-Pirates of the Caribbean [4]: On Strange Tides

-Davy Crockett and the River Pirates

-Treasure Island (1950)

• 2 months later...