Footwear For PIcky Feet

GryffinSong

My achilles heel (tee hee) for any garb is my footwear. Why? Because I have plantar fasciitis. The wrong footwear will have me limping for weeks (if not months). I do NOT have flat feet, which many of us are assumed to have, so fitting is a puzzle. I wear inserts in some shoes, and believe it or not, Crocs makes a hideous but comfortable, well, croc, that I can wear without inserts.

So where does that leave me with garb? I don't yet know. And I'm a lowly artist, without a fortune to spend. So, do any of you have ideas on how I can approach this aspect of my garb, either with specific brand recommendations, or for shoes/boots that I can remove the insert and put in my own, or mundane shoes that can be adapted?

Although I am a woman, I will not be playing a wench ... so boots and pirate footwear suggestions are wanted, not dainties. ;)

Thanks. :)

I have the same problem- what I did was get a pair of bucket boots in a size larger, and just put my sneaker inserts in- then I wear a pair of those tennis ankle socks under my pirate socks. I know, right? but it fits perfectly, and I can walk forever. I do have a pair of more period correct shoes with buckles- but they tend to slop around on my heels..a bit too small for extra socks, and a bit too big even with inserts. I even got them soaking wet to fit my feet better- but -the bucket boots are the more comfortable fit.

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

I agree with Gertie. I'd advise anyone to purchase shoes that allow you to use inserts, even if you don't have special foot problems. I use plain old Surgeon Shoals inserts and an extra pair of socks. I also have some custom heel pieces I made for my shoes because I need to be careful of my feet (diabetes) and the heels of one of my shoes chew the absolute hell out of the back of my foot.

There are purists who would argue against this, but they probably wear period underwear as well, so their opinions should be discounted by we mere mortals. (I mean, have you seen period underwear?))

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Gryffin -

Crocs... I was wearing them at the NJ Pirate Fest with skull and bone pop-ins. ;)

I usuall wear a pair of pc buckle shoes that have broken my feet in, not vice versa.

For long term standing or parades, etc. I've considered making up a pair of NB or equal walking shoes in black and shoe buckle added, perhaps to the velcro closing ones.

Although these alternatives are not period correct, foot health should be a #1 concern especially for folks with underlying health issues.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I don't know if this would suit the style (or price range!) you're looking for, but I and pretty much everyone I work with at ren faires swear by Son of Sandlar boots. They can be pricey, but they are AMAZING quality, come with a lifetime guarantee (and they'll happily help you with any repairs or upkeep you may need, even resoling), and are designed to be worn with whatever inserts you may need -- they're very roomy. The styles I most commonly see on pirates are the "Teach" boots, which are square-toed and come with removable bucket tops (they're somewhere around $500, I think), and the "Low Buckle" style, which comes with a series of buckled straps up each leg, but those are removable, and if you take most of them out, you're left with what basically looks like a round-toe version of the Teach boots, without the bucket top (though the bucket tops can be purchased separately for about $50). I paid $325 for my Low Buckle boots.

(Plus if you take all the straps off the buckle boots, they look like nice, normal boots that can be worn in your everyday life, too! I lived in mine this past winter hehe)

I'm a performer at several faires, so I really needed some high-quality boots to survive the hell I put my footwear through. My first season working at a faire, I destroyed THREE PAIRS OF BOOTS over the course of two months. So for me, the cost was MORE than worth it. I don't know if it would be reasonable for you, as far as how often you'd be wearing them and/or what kind of beating you'd put them through. But I tend to recommend them especially to people who need special inserts, because they're so roomy, and are such good quality that they'll last a good many years. I know someone who wore his for eight years before he sent them in for repairs!

Their website is http://sonofsandlar.com/ but I think their Facebook page is kept more up-to-date: https://www.facebook.com/SonofSandlar

Best of luck in your search!

I can relate to the foot problems you have, I have both planters fasciitis and arthritis in my feet. I alternate my footwear between a lady's walking shoe and a pair of boys shoes most of the time. I took my orthotics inserts along for the walking shoes, but the boy's shoes I just bought in a larger size to fit thick socks originally, but now they fit my inserts. I have owned Fugawee, Townsend and Burnley & Trowbridge shoes. The B&T shoes are the current ones I use the most, the boy's shoes I use when I will be on my feet working a lot. Neither of the two main pairs are what I would consider dainty lady's shoes, which I also have. So if you want to consider something besides boots, the men's shoe in a smaller size for your foot is worth considering. If you go that route, don't put a buckle in at first, break them in well and add the buckles when your feet are their most sensitive or swollen.

Thanks everyone! I think what I'll have to do is take my inserts on a shopping spree and try things on.

I've found some boots in my price range that I like for a fantasy pirate. They'd also crossover well for Steampunk, and if I stretch my imagination a bit, even ren faire. I'm hoping to find a pair locally to try on. Unfortunately, they're artificial leather, but perhaps that's why they're inexpensive. I don't need sturdy boots just yet, as my pirate outings are not yet a common thing. Then, once I know what works for me, and more about what kind of garb I like, I can consider saving up for something sturdier, and perhaps more authentic.