Guns across Canada, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

Shouldn't have a problem getting back into the U.S. either. First off, it's Alaska. It's very common up here to have at least one firearm for bear protection. A flintlock is not exactly scary up here as it might be in some cities down south. Nearly every law enforcement officer will recognize this, and shouldn't give you any trouble. Second, according to U.S. law, your long arm is not considered a firearm (I'm assuming that it's a reenactment weapon, since this is the pyracy pub-if not, my first point still has merit). Under Title 18, Section 921 (a) (3), "The term 'firearm'...does not include an antique firearm." What, you don't have an actual antique firearm? No problem, Title 18, Section 921 (a) (16) describes an 'antique firearm' as:

"(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica-

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

In conclusion, you should be fine getting back in the U.S. As for the Canadian laws, I have absolutely no idea. The other option is to drive to Bellingham, WA and take the ferries up to Whittier (Haines and Skagway would both require a trip through Canada). On the way, you could take a layover in Juneau and we could share a tot of rum or a homebrew.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg