New Pirate Video Game on the Way! Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag

Having loved some of the earlier games of the series I am looking forward to this. It looks good.

some shots

Assassins-Creed-4-Black-Flag-hello-there

Assassins-Creed-IV-Black-Flag-21.jpg

Assassins-Creed-4-Underwater-Treasure.jp

PCG251.feat_ass.grab_1.jpg

assassins_creed_4_black_flag_8.jpg

However (getting now a bit cheesy with historical accuracy) I am a bit disappointed that there is some absolutely needles anachronisms around from Napoleonic ship to bicorne hats (there should be only tricorns and actual early 18th century vessels... I am sure it wouldn't have taken any more effort)... Also it if funny that the makers have said that they watched "Master and Commader" film to get an early 18th century feeling while the movie actually sets in the early 19th Century and almost hundred years later than the game... also is interesting to note that the Havana has a cathedral (notable in many pictures like picture 4 here and in the trailers) that was not build before 1748-1777 and thus that particular building wouldn't have been there in the game era of 1715.(see http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/03/PCG251.feat_ass.grab_1.jpg and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Havana) Of course it is only a game but when the makers advertise that now Golden age of piracy "lives again" in the game I would have hoped a little more accuracy... but well there is Templars and Assassins in any case so... (the cheesy stuff about with historical accuracy ends here ) But all in all the game has a good look that is convincing and quite historical and especially beautiful.

New trailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4RKLzACrY

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Even assassins creed 3 isnt bad for getting into the pirate mood, the beginning of the game is set only 20 years after the golden age in boston, starts with a voyage on a ship to america, the sailors working away singing a few shanties, haul on the bowline and hanging johnny. A full game you can drop into to get you in the mood for going a roving on the seven seas is going to be quite the treat!

• 3 weeks later...

New trailer

All in all while that is not a game-play trailer the game seems epic

(It seems also quite historical if we don't get to nitty gritty stuff like ship riggings or style of the some uniforms or swords styles. It is a game after all and well there is Assassins ....)

John Paul Jones

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am posting new stuff in case someone is interested

Two new trailers

(What is that Samurai in the video?)

and

some new pictures

I have never been too keen on the Assassin's Greeds's back story with all the "first civilization" stuff but it is there still :P Here The main character Edward Kenway is holding something related to the first civilization stuff...

assassins-creed-4-black-flag-screenshot-

(you are correct if you think that I am too harsh with video game accuracy but....: The tattoos are a common error... Sailors had them later but not in this game's era.(which is 1715) Well the main character is an assassin and not an ordinary man but I afraid that others have tattoos too...)

Assassins-Creed-IV-Black-Flag-1.jpg

ACIVBF_SP_Caribbean_BoardingProvocation_

The ships which appear in the game. Quite historical and realistic expect one thing. They have done really bad things to Brig! Brigs or any other sailing ship of this era had no enormous ugly rammer. Come on! rammers were used in Ancient Roman times and a little later but only in galleys. And the worst thing is that it looks really really stupid... come on what were you thinking makers? It is not only inaccurate but stupid.... I think the bada** Jackdaw which is an assassin's ship could have a rammer and other odd stuff but come on? Brigs were the most beatiful ships there were in my opnion but they ruined it with really stupid and inaccurate rammer.

Assassins-Creed-IV-Ship-Classes.jpg

In any case my feelings are mostly positive about this game... It will be fun no doubt.... I hope it runs smoothly in Xbox 360 and has less bugs and glitches that the previous game...

John Paul Jones

• 3 months later...

I have to ask if anyone else here has been playing this game. As an avid gamer and fan of the Assassin's Creed series, I've of course been madly in love with Black Flag, but I've also been very impressed with a lot of the historical detail that's gone into it, even alongside all of the fantasy elements and twists that are inevitable in a major production like this.

Not long ago I overheard two guards discussing actual historical facts about Woodes Rogers, who's a major character in the game, and was pleased not only that they got these facts right, but that the developers had bothered to record dialogue about it that was only going to be used in an optional sidequest and could be easily missed. There are a LOT of little things in this game that make my inner history nerd very happy.

I also love their representation of Ed Thatch/Blackbeard, and all the cameos by other historical figures from the era... as silly as a lot of the creative changes can be, there's enough "real" stuff to make me smile, especially when I realize how much of it is going to fly right over the heads of the average gamer!

• 4 months later...

Two new trailers

. . .

I have never been too keen on the Assassin's Greeds's back story with all the "first civilization" stuff but it is there still :P . . .

. . . They have done really bad things to Brig! . . . enormous ugly rammer. Come on! . . . it looks really really stupid. . .

Assassins-Creed-IV-Ship-Classes.jpg

In any case my feelings are mostly positive . . .

That "first civilization" stuff really puts me off as well and I think what they've done to the Brig is ridiculous - that's the kind of stuff that's been keeping me away.

Not long ago I overheard two guards discussing actual historical facts about Woodes Rogers, . . . and was pleased not only that they got these facts right, but that the developers had bothered to record dialogue about it that was only going to be used in an optional sidequest and could be easily missed. . .

So now that you two have been playing it for a while, what do you think? Is it still getting good marks?