This is one of a few ship in bottle projects I'm working on but since it was pirate related i thought why not post it here. I did a little research into the Satisfaction and read that she was an English Frigate. The height of Henry Morgans campaign was in the late 1660's to Early 1670's. So I did some research in the books that I have and found an English Frigate called the Resolution that was built in 1667. I figured it would be as close as any one could get to how the ship might have looked so I'm modeling the Satisfaction after those plans.

post-307-0-20268700-1363154133_thumb.jpg

This was the original bottle i thought of using but have since changed. I show this picture though because it shows generally what she will look like.

post-307-0-36179900-1366179223_thumb.jpg

Here is my progress so far. Not much to look at but getting there. The ship will be a split hull so that half the ship will go into the bottle at a time. When fully installed the ship will be taller then the opening of the bottle giving the illusion that there is no way it could have fit.

post-307-0-94371900-1366179244_thumb.jpg

Here's the new bottle I'm using. I still have a bit of sanding to do to get the upper portion in. I'm toying with the idea of putting something in the bottle neck but I haven't decided yet. That's where I'm at so far. I'll post more as she progress's

It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow

www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com

DS -

Looks like a great project. Please keep us updated on the progress. ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

DS -

Thanks will do.

Very nice matey.

Fer years I been telling me wife that thar be much satisfaction to be found in the bottle and ships.

There very much is especially when you put the two together.

It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow

Ahoy ( the other) Mister Hook! Be careful when n' where such words be spoken, for the ladies have ways to break ye bottles and burn thy ships as well as ye victuals.

Beware o' the backside o' a fry skillet. :blink::rolleyes:

DS -

Me Dremel is on its final pins and new brushes be a very scarce treasure.

I recently replaced it with a Milwaukee M12 cordless motor tool... so far so good. ;)

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

Jas. Hook I should clarify the battery died, dremels still good. Just need to charge. If ever it does go the way of Davy Jones Locker I'll keep your Milwaukee in mind.

DS -

Thanks will do.

Very nice matey.

Fer years I been telling me wife that thar be much satisfaction to be found in the bottle and ships.

There very much is especially when you put the two together.

Top o the day to ye of like mind. _Rum__by_vita_luna.gif

Ahoy ( the other) Mister Hook! Be careful when n' where such words be spoken, for the ladies have ways to break ye bottles and burn thy ships as well as ye victuals.

Beware o' the backside o' a fry skillet. :blink::rolleyes:

That be assured matey and far worse has come my way. I've taken a few night trips for elbowing. :D

Whar's me pipe?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks William. The finish is still quite a ways off. Got some other projects taking my time as well. Not to mention work and family. It will be a while.

Well she's looking more like a ship now and less like a block of wood.

post-307-0-26035500-1368423006_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-58884000-1368423014_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-99604400-1368423021_thumb.jpg

My only concern now is she's still a bit wide. I may have to have the cannons in the just fired position so they don't stick out too much.

DS -

Moving along right quickly now.

What is the deck... wood strips or burned on?

Jas.

Jas,

I use a type of scribing on the deck. I paint a couple coats of clear nail polish then cut the planking lines with an exacto blade. I then apply a stain that seeps into the cuts but doesn't stain covered with the nail polish. I think I was a little too liberal with the stain though and there was a little more stain seeping under the nail polish then I wanted. A little darker decks aren't a bad thing for a pirate ship though.

Edited by DSiemens

Jas,

I use a type of scribing on the deck. I paint a couple coats of clear nail polish then cut the planking lines with an exacto blade. I then apply a stain that seeps into the cuts but doesn't stain covered with the nail polish. I think I was a little too liberal with the stain though and there was a little more stain seeping under the nail polish then I wanted. A little darker decks aren't a bad thing for a pirate ship though.

Aye... either that or paint the decks red. :o;)

Thanks! It's taken some time to get to this point I've built around 25 or so. Still a lot to learn yet but there's no hurry. The thing about patience bottles is you got to have patience.

I need to get more pictures up. I actually ran into some problems with not including the tumble home. I got her fixed up now and need to get the bulwarks back in place. Also doing some research on the port holes and cannon. I'm thinking wire insulation so the cannons are hollow. Trouble is finding some small enough. The lower porthulls are proving difficult. They are small so its hard to carve. I'm thinking of painting them on but the trouble is what color. The ship is already dark so black may blend in as well as obstruct the view of black cannons. I guess I could try gold cannons. A lot to figure out in the little details.

• 4 weeks later...

This is awesome!

On the Dremel discussion, I use a Black & Decker that DOES have a cord. I LOVE it. I also have a cordless Dremel for travel (I use it to trim my dog's nails, among other things), but for at-home use the Black & Decker can't be beat. Much more powerful, more variable speeds, and never runs out of juice.

Well this one didn't turn out so well. I was getting the gun ports in and a passing warship fired a broad side and splintered it all to heck...my other SIB forums suggested a sanding sealer to prevent this in the future. I'll get more updates up on the restart soon.

DS -

No way to careen the ship for repairs?

Cannons... ever try the decorative turned toothpicks? Asian markets use 'em a lot at the sample tables.

Jas. Hook

Hook,

Yea not so much. I attempted to carve out the gun ports on the side and didn't realise that I needed to first use a sanding sealer before carving. The hul splintered all over the place. I was debating starting over after the tumblehome debacle so the splintering sealed her fate. I'll start carving again real soon.