Proof testing

madd mike

I have heard many contrary opinions on the safety of Indian gun barrels.
so I have begun an experiment.
I will be testing a number of gun barrels from several different suppliers.
here is the method we have followed so far,
Under controlled conditions in the shop,the temp of the barrel is recorded and then they are measured at several locations on the barrel with a micrometer. then the barrels are taken to the range, loaded with a triple charge of the recommended load. and 2 round balls of the correct size for the barrel being tested. The charge is then electrically ignited from a distance of 50 feet from behind a berm.
The barrels are then returned to the shop. cleaned completely. cooled to the same temperature as before the test . remeasured. then the breech plugs are removed and the bore is inspected.
So far the barrels that we have checked were obtained from loyalist arms and middelsex trading village. no failures so far also no measurable deformation. we have managed to destroy one test stand. we will be testing barrels from other suppliers as we get them
I would welcome any suggestions anyone has on how to improve our procedure

here is a link to our first tests

A great idea, unfortunatly as most of the India built guns are hand built there are no 2 that are the same and you can't claim one is safe because the same model passed. Anybody desiring to fire their gun safely should have their gun proofed. Now that this has been brought up what would you charge to proof a gun?

id.jpg

Even the English, arguably some of the best gunmakers ever, proofed each gun barrel separately in government-run proof houses. While this new information may allow us to buy India-made guns with a little more confidence each barrel should be proofed before firing live rounds. And you don't need a firing range, either. If you don't have a berm, dig a hole. Proof the gun in the hole. Just make sure it's legal to do in your neighborhood. And get away. If you can see the gun it can bite you. And anything less than a concrete wall between you and the gun is not enough. I had a 200-year-old oak between me and my gun when I proofed it, touched off with a bit of cannon fuse. But then I live out in the country where big explosions don't bother anyone.

Once proofed, fire reasonable loads of proper F-number. If you didn't understand that last sentence then find someone who does to teach you.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

We are not responsible if the barrel is damaged at any time.

$95 per barrel for basic proofing

10-50 barrels $75 per barrel

50-100 barrels $65 per barrel

Artillery- call for quote

If there are multiple barrels, pay shipping once, please let us know if more than one package is necessary.

We do batch proofing, with a minimum of once a month. We will wait until we have enough barrels to justify a trip.

In the event of barrel failure we WILL cut up the barrel, as it is NOT safe to fire.

Customer pays shipping on the return trip, 3 separate rates for small medium large barrels (UPS charges $20 oversize fee for boxes over 36”).We will refund the shipping fee in the event of barrel failure (unless you want the pieces back).

hope this helps