Scuba anyone

andelew

Ey Avast, any scurvy dogs be scuba diving in the murky Texas waters this season? Looking for Pirate divers to go diving for toilets with.

Texas Terror the Flat Land Pyrate -- guitarist abord the land Yacht "Lady Gale"

diving for toliets?

Well, I guess if GWB was your past governor, that may be all ye have left to dive off the coast for. I prefer the clearer waters of the caribbean meself. Better view.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Yes SCUBA..., As the Owner of Richs Rooter Service http://home.comcast.net/~cebusifu/cebusifu.htm ..., We do not Dive for toilets..Sounds like pretty good money tho....,?

This April 5th we will leave for our annual 3 week Philippine trip .

That would be Working at the beach and preparing the foreshore for the new NE Sea Wall., and SCUBA DIVING. This Year I will be taking the PADI Advanced Course. A Deep Dive.,A Night Dive.,Underwater Navigation., Underwater Naturalist., and for the fifth CORE Dive I am undecided as of yet?.,

I gotta get these done so next year I can work on Rescue Diver and First Aid.., I am hoping to achieve my Assistant Instructor in 4 years..., Then after that., and alot more experience so I can achieve my Master Divers license.

Alot to do yet..., But I am working on it The Dives in the RP provide me with 50m visability and a HUGE amount of aquatic life., the destroyed corals there are growing and coming back in droves since the Ban of Explosives fishing 15 years ago. Its literally an underwater Zoo down there., this year at Liloan, Cebu We hope to pet the Whale Shark at 20 to 25m deep :lol:

I will Be back April 27'th which is the same day I leave the RP., As a matter of fact I will get into SeaTac 1 hour BEFORE I Leave Manila...., However the Going there is 25 hours and 48hours on a Calender., as you are trying to beat the sun., while crossing over Guam., (International Date Change).

I hope to post some photos of the Dive and our Beach as well as the Pirate Coat Gun and other mentionables., as of lately.

<_< HarborMaster :ph34r:

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Well harbor Master that is a fine goal indeed, You say that you will be preparing the beach for a sea wall and Scuba diving. How does one find himself in such a lucky position, and were can I sign up. At this moment I am only an open water diver and my greatest adventures have been the local lakes as my purse is not as full as i would like it to be :lol: The most interesting things I have set me eyes on have been toilets and telephone booths, no clear water diving yet but if'n me plunder be big enough someday then I will be having Rum filled tankards with ya in philippines soon enough..

Signing up for it wont be hard when my time comes ..., but the completion for our beach and living on it will be about 5 more years., imagine running out of money in a 3rd world country.., whooa !! no thanks. :lol: [How does one find himself in such a lucky position,] Well SAVE EVERYTHING and say no to the rest of your desires., except your dream.

But for now you can do it at other beaches there for cheap. If you stay out of travel agencies and look over the internet you should be able to do a rountrip for about 750.00 then 1500 will suffice for 3 weeks (length of your passports in country stay) for hotels and ALL THE DIVING YOU WANT. not bad .., I am sold. If you are really interested get on the web and type in Diving Philippines..., there will be LOTS of links to look at..., English is very common there and your dollar is currently 56 to 1 ., and spends like 20 to 1.., its AWESOME.

Our beach is going one sea wall at a time., then the hotel and bar.., a small place.., with Marina boat (Ship 60ft) and dive shop. A mom an pop shop little set up relying more foriegners as the locals are very poor.., I cannot count on this as a main source of income., we are investing in rentals in Cebu., like I said I hate to run short. Currently there are over 100,000 American Ex-Pats living there as retired.

A pirate themed little resort..., :lol: Each time I go there I haul 4 large boxes., for my "Future" (almost senseless...., I hope I make it) I also use FOREX..., they just took a 14" X 14" X 52" box unlimited weight ..., (Forex is always unlimited weight) for me for 86 bux!!!! It contains my cannon., and 2 of my 4 black powder pistols I cant wait to grow young !!! Lots of fun to come .

HarborMaster

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

• 2 weeks later...

GONE !!! a 11:00 a.m. call for SEA-TAC thru to Tokyo-Narita to Manila., Cebu., onward to Moalboal., for an advanced scuba course with Neptune divers (Swedes in the philippines?) http://www.neptunediving.com/english/gener...ral/neptune.php

then to my beach across the tannon straight, at San jose Negros Oriental., (8 kilometers) Tall tales after April27th..., and hopefully a few photos..., and remember FREE GROG and cocktails on international fights

Take care everyone., and may the wind be at your backs

HarborMaster

• 2 months later...

Chilly Pacific Coast?.., Whereabouts mate? I am in Washington.,considering a few puget Sound dives thru Capital Divers out of Olympia this summer..., Here are some of those Philippine Pics and the beach property and some tropical diving.

:lol: HarborMaster :lol:

My Webpage

Chilly Pacific Coast?.., Whereabouts mate? I am in Washington.,considering a few puget Sound dives thru Capital Divers out of Olympia this summer..., Here are some of those Philippine Pics and the beach property and some tropical diving.

:rolleyes: HarborMaster ;)

My Webpage

I be from Portland, but lately spendin most o me time here in Eugene Oregon while I finish college. I've been diving near the Puget Sound as well, in Hoodsport WA. Good times, great dives. I took my advanced certification dives there too. Excellent for night diving.

Take what you can, give nothing back.

ahoy harbormaster

I've been sav'n an sailin' looking to set up a sailing charter in far off lands. anyone in that area doing day sails or week long sailboat charters?

I heard there be a lot o' modern day pirates in that area doin' kindnappings and such. but ell , a good deck sweeper and being known locally usually takes care of such problems.in just under a year I'll ave me six pack license. and then it's just a matter of setting the sails and makeing the right connections at the right resort. iffn ya can give me a bit o' info inta the area it'll be greatly apreciated.

:rolleyes:

Privateer..... 'ere be me two cents worth on this topic....As a construction superintendant and also a sailor, I'm very familiar with most of the South Pacific and Pacific Rim nations. I have a special penchant for the Republic of the Philippines, but that said..........I know little of you or your vessel, but a lot of the republic just plain 'aint safe' for an average gringo...Now, unless you don't have a problem leaving your assailant lying in a cane field as he would have done you, I'd recommend staying out of the area as a sailor. You are exposed to waay more volitile people as a sailor than as a tourist.If the Philippines are where you really want to be, then spend the time on foot exploring (thar be 7,000 islands in the republic) and then decide. The problem checking things out in third world countries as a tourist is that you are generally sheltered from any local problems, and as a sailor, you are thrust right into them.For sure avoid Mindanao and most outer islands, as these tend to be strongly rebel held, and expats generally don't fair well in these areas........

As far as operating on a 'six-pack' license, that only applies in the U.S., mate, the rest 'o the world does things their way, not ours..........

:lol:

Stand Down, and ye may just live...

Being a "Gringo" I have found the Philippines Extremely pro American., There are lots of online news agencies with daily news. As for Mindanao YES Very bad., but for a long time. For about 600 years there has been a problem more in the southern islands toward Indonesia. However for an island nation of 7107 Islands it means only about 7000 are safe., imagine that !!! Also English is a common spoken language. Lots of American Monuments from WWII as well as when the U.S. helped free the Filipinos from 400 years of spanish colonialism !!! Cebu is a favorite it is several hundred miles north of the Mindinao problem and several hundred miles south of the Typhoon alley.

As for the crime., let us consider Terrorism is a crime like any other., it would be called murder., as a country the philippines gets 380 murders a year for a population of 80 million. With 3 times that population .,240 million the U.S. should have 1140 murders..., but instead we have 18,000 murders a year in the U.S> HELLO ?? What is this ., and Why? Is it because there is a death penalty there for rapists.,dopers and murderers?., here we uh..., well we re-habilitate them and set them free so they can do it again.., why is that?

There are pirates in the Philippines for sure.,Stay out of the south ! ! Keep a few locals on board and follow there rules.,

The main problem with pleasure cruise operations there really is it is a 3rd world poverty stricken paradise., and poverty doesnt have alot of money for pleasure cruises. Also as an island nation.., there is ALOT of ocean going vessels. Primarily you are looking to cater to foriegnors for making $$$.

Youd want to get in with travel agencies and set up package deals and bookings., there are alot of Dive Resorts currently offering "Dive Safaris" for 3 and 4 day live aboard dive adventures.

Do a little homework .,Be safe.,and as in any country., here too .,watch your back. and you should be o.k.

Take Care

HarborMaster

aye. that's why I've been lean'n more twords mexico, or the caribean. I would love ta sail the south pacific. but like ya said,ya better have a deck sweeper (shotgun) and have no qualms about using it. they loose hundreds of boats a year to piracy. they either kidnap ya and hold ya fer ransom ,or throw ya overboard and take off with yer boat. south america and southern cental america is not as bad but it does happen. as far as the six pack license goes ,it's more for the hotels and booking agency's than anything. the trick is to get hooked in with a hotel / resort and offer three hour sail tours (' experiance the thrill and romance of sailing' ) or set up private multiday sailing cruises. there area few companies that if you put up the down payment, they pay for EVERYTHING else. they book all your reservations and the boat is only yours for a few off peak weeks a year. and the end of your multi year contract the boat is yours free and clear. ya don't get paid much to live on but ya have no expenses. a thirty five ta forty -two foot boat would be ideal. big enough to be comfortable but small enough ta single hand.

Been there, done that, mate. It's a great plan if you want to own an average white charter boat. My first two vessels were clorox bottle charters, but I personally now prefer something with character. Bear in mind the horrendous expense AFTER you are off contract being a boater in the Eastern Carribean, 'tis a very expensive place to boat.I'm givin' a hard look at the Western Carribean, but then.....it's amazing the difference legally betwixt a shotgun (boater's no-no), and a swivel gun or blunderbuss (legal recreational toys)....'course, I be a pirate ship, so some of this be 'overlooked, eh?..Most of us sleep with a flare gun during deliveries.....If you realize your dream, give us a holler, we'll be in the general vicinity after next year, unless something changes drastically here in the economic disaster once known as 'the Land of Milk and Honey, Gulliforneea'.

aye captn. those catalina's and hunters sail easy 'n fast but what fun is that? I would like to find a nice fermosa. it 's got a bit o' style but still new enough to be "comfortable" and no wood hull to be eatn'by them dang termites . I am kind of curiouse as to how hard id be to single hand though. granted most people would like to pull sails on a real sailboat, or the electric wenches but I just can't bring myself to trust 'em. that and I can't quit find a 'wench' with the same dream. ah well ,se la vie!

oh good luck with that gail ya got blow'n

I can't quit find a 'wench' with the same dream. ah well ,se la vie!

Have you tried your local lower end yacht club? I be knowing of several ladies looking for an adventureous bloke went looking there. :D

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

reeeally ??? . yea I usually go to the 'beer can ' races on tues. out of redondo beach yacht club. not to many single females. fun to race though.and I have met some great people. a good freind I sail with is one of the officers. the bad thing it means no more raceing his boat on race day. ifn those ladies be still looking let me know. :D

I thank ya fer the info royaliste. best defense for anything is knowledge.

Hardin 'Sea Wolf' ketches are out there for around 60K right now, one in my harbor....good plastic piratey lookin' rigs....Do watch for blisters 'n osmosis, they are a little trickier to 'kill' than toredo worms!...I'm no superstar, just an average sailor and a bit better rigger, but I single-hand everything I sail on...all in technique and not too much traffic nearby.......Even this 'ole Tallship...last year on me B-day, which is comin' up again!.. :D ..my old addage is this;.."It takes about 45 minutes to hoist, set, trim, and make shipeshape at the beginning of a sail, and the same at the end... Inbetween, it doesn't matter much if it's an afternoon, or a month at sea........"

ya know...

I used ta do that on a 37' yorktown with no roller furling. run forward raise the main. run back to the wheel. run forward raise the genoa, run back . the only part that makes me nervous about single handing a BIG boat is if'n things do go awry. a sudden wind shift or winds like yer riden out. damn near put that yorktown into the breakwater when the fog was so thick I could barely see the bow. and the dang fog horn wasn't soundin.I had already droped sail. but it could of been real interesting....... that n if'n I run charters their probably going to want to actually go to certain spots in a somewhat timely manner. (rude ba***ds). I do thank ya fer the tips tho.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
I be a diver as well...not in Texas though. I be in the chilly pacific coast. Enjoy yer self! :blink:

I'm on the Pacific, myself. And I be crazy fer divin'! Come October, there's not a lobster in Southern California that don't feel uneasy!

I be a diver as well...not in Texas though. I be in the chilly pacific coast. Enjoy yer self! :blink:

I'm on the Pacific, myself. And I be crazy fer divin'! Come October, there's not a lobster in Southern California that don't feel uneasy!

Nice photography, TJ. I loved the old, whithered piano image, especially.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that this topic has kinda split between Scuab and sailing which brings up another question. For you seasoned Salts, what do you recomend for someone who hasnt been sailing in about 20 years who wants to get back into sailing. I might also mention that when I did it was on a Nacra 5.2 catamaran. Any advice on begining sail boats schools, ect.

Andrew

AKA Texas Terror the flat land pyrate

• 4 weeks later...

sorry ta take so long responding to this. :rolleyes:

check out ussailing.com they are one of the main governing bodys and very well respected thru-out the u.s. and even overseas. I was out on a 5.2 just last week. very VERY fast boats. there are many sail training places around just make sure they are either coastie approved or ussa approved. once you go thru an approved training schedule you can rent a bareboat dang near anywhere in the world. marina sailing is pretty big here in Ca. if your a member you get major discounts on boat rentals and they will even supply you with a captn. if you don't feel like doing anything .

as far as buying a sailboat...........depends. how often are ya going to be going out? how many people ? that nacra is a hell of a lot of fun. but it's pretty much two people and your going to get wet. and you can scare hell out of yourself if your not quick with the sheets. if your just wanting to get out on the water and maybe spend a weekend on it . I would go with about a 22 - 24 foot trailerable boat. it'll take an hour or more to rig it and the same to break it down but you won't be paying a slip fee or haveing to clean the bottom. if'n your thinking of a lifestyle change and want to live on a boat, don't get anything smaller than 35'. there are a lot of variables. start pokeing around at the local waters and have someone take you out for a ride and see if it's still what you want before you jump in with both feet. i know a guy who spent close to 100K on a sailbot and took it out three times and got seasick and hasn't taken it out in dang near two years. but he's still paying slip fees and someone to keep it in working order even if he will never go out again.

sorry that got a lot long winded.

My .02 cents worht adds up to this: Buy a small sailin' dingy (dink, to sailors) Brand and price doesn't matter, they are all basically cheap. An Optima, nutshell, or anything small with a daggerboard and tiller. You can sail it anywhere, bays, lakes, rivers. By the time you enjoy 'turtling' and getting real wet, you'll also have most of sailing basics downpat. Then if you move on to bigger boats and such, the dink will still be a part of your own waterworld...Now, as far as singlhanding, I singlehand both of my ketches, the Orca and the Royaliste. My love of sailing and singlehanding is why I own ketch rigs. Most versatile rig made for cruising singlehanded.