DSiemens

I've been wanting to get into sea shanties but am not sure what's good or not. Forgive me I'm a total newbie. If you were to name the top 3 to 5 CD's or groups for sea shanties and where to get them what would they be?

It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow

www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com

It depends on what you're looking for, but I can at least give you a few of my favorites, both traditional and contemporary (or most often a mix of the two) in no particular order:

Saint Elmo's Choir: Syrens (sorry, not readily available, and was never released on CD/digital)

Glenn Yarbough: Chantyman

Jolly Rogers: Pirates' Gold

Great Big Sea: Rant and Roar

Great Big Sea: Sea of No Cares

Great Big Sea: The Hard and the Easy

Marc Bernier: Always Welcome (you can probably find this somewhere online, but I got it after singing with him for many Sundays at the Harp and Hound pub in Mystic, CT)

Mystic Seaport Annual Sea Shanty Festival CDs (multiple years, I've got a couple and they have many different, but generally very good artists)

You can also find some online, such as the collection at http://chivalry.com/cantaria/lists/alpha.html, where you can find a variety of artists and figure out what you like. Note, not all of the songs at this link are period, or have anything to do with the sea, but some do.

As for finding these, probably online is your best bet (unless you go to a maritime museum or the likes that has a gift shop). Google them and you can often find the band's website. Hope you enjoy.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Oh, I also forgot Bounding Main:Lost at Sea and Bounding Main: Going Overboard. There's also the Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale: Sea Shanties, which makes the shanties sound like they should be singing in a church, but is definitely very good.

Coastie

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

thank ye Coastie. I will look into those and start building a collection. I didn't realize there was contemporary and traditional but it makes sense. I've seen the same with bluegrass which I do have a fair collection of.

Thank you again,

Daniel

It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... is freedom. - Captain Jack Sparrow

www.siemensbottlingco.blogspot.com