"Interloper" Slave Ships

Mission

Interloper Slave ships were popular pirate vessels when they could get them, so I thought I'd start a topic about them and their behavior. This is really just to stick this quote somewhere so it's available to everyone. It's from Père Jean-Baptiste Labat's Memoires 1693-1705 (Translated from the original French by John Eaden, 1970):

"There are English companies similar to the French African companies which enjoy the sole right of trading in slaves. But this does not stop other Englishmen going to Africa for this purpose, provided that their ship is able to defend herself from the

__

companies' vessels, which they have the right to capture her as if she belonged to an enemy nation. Such ships are called Interlopers and they are always well armed.

The interlopers suspect everyone, and therefore they allow no ship to approach unless she give the signal that has been prearranged with their shore agents and which is altered every voyage." (Labat, p. 61-2)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG