Technical question...

Elena

Yes, it's me and my lack of English technical vocabulary, so I'd google... if I knew what. Therefore, I am asking you instead, please tell me some metal pieces (or fittings, or how they are called) which a tall ship might need after being damaged by a storm...

I don;t want elaborate, complicated metal things they would need a chandler's shop for... but rather small, albeit necessary ones which a blacksmith can make.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Elena

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Perfect. :wub: Chainplates... what else one might need?

Thank you very much!

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

If a mast is damaged, possibly some mast hoops would need to be fashioned. Damage to the rudder could potentially be fixed underway (rudder chains, rudder head fractures, pintle/gudgeon damage, wheel/tiller damage, etc.). There would also be a wide assortment of smaller fittings from eyebolts that would secure heavy objects to parts of a bilge pump that could potentially be damaged during a storm and need replacing.

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Well if the hull including gun ports is damaged. New hinges that were used for hatches in cannon ports would be needed. http://pic20.picture...2/391122382.jpg But I am not sure is that too complicated for the blacksmith.

Well also in my mind comes, albeit not complicated, typical nails that were used for ships....

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

A lot would depend on the expertise of the blacksmith and their equipment. In general, a simple hinge is not too difficult to forge with the right equipment. Blacksmiths (as opposed to shipsmiths, swordsmiths, gunsmiths, or any number of specialty smiths) would be good at repairing broken/bent items. They wouldn't need to make a bilge pump from scrap if it broke. They would need to repair a bent or broken piece of the pump, or at worst, fabricate that piece from the remains of the original. The nice thing for them, is that once you have a good fire going in the forge, you can test fit that piece, then make minor adjustments until it worked. I think the limiting factors would not be complexity of the item that was damaged, but ability to access it while the ship was underway or the large size of the part broken (I'm thinking chainplates or pintle/gudgeons of rudders). Nails, hooks, bolts, or any number of small pieces would be relatively easy to fix or replace with some extra iron stock onboard.

Arrrgh!

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Thank you very much! I love you all! <3

(And, to answer about easy access - the ship will be beached for repairs)

Edited by Elena

BTMnewad.jpg