Hampton Blackbeard Festival 2013

Dutchman

plans a' startin!

Does that mean a storm watch has been set? :blink:;)

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

ahoy vendors! it looks like grace has two spaces available in the period vendors area! If you may be interested in attending please let me know and I'll put you in touch with grace. We are looking for something new to the festival such as furniture, chests, weapons colonial goods.

So are there still any spaces for vendors left? Can you have Grace get in touch with me? Rob and I just bought what was Deborah's Pantry, selling period food items (teas, chocolate, spices, sweetmeats, among other useful things).

Jen

So are there still any spaces for vendors left? Can you have Grace get in touch with me? Rob and I just bought what was Deborah's Pantry, selling period food items (teas, chocolate, spices, sweetmeats, among other useful things).

Jen

OH well done ye... wishing ye much success with this..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Thar be a good possibility that Eye will be gracing ye alls wit me presents at this eerr festival...

Be good to see some of ye cads Eye've met at PIP in 2009 and new faces as well. Eye have had me eye on this

event for the last four years .. was sorta glad eye scrubbed coming last year.. with such a torrent of weather ..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Jen

OH well done ye... wishing ye much success with this..

Thank you! We're up to our eyeballs in crates of inventory! My living room kind of looks like your set-up at Jamestown! *L*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ahem.... 30 DAYS TO SHOW TIME KERMIT! New vendors, New boats and crews, same fun. Im afraid the hotel is sold out and the camp is overflowing. The closest hotels are by the Hampton Coliseum, about ten minutes away.

what ho!! Good fortunes! And we have a rum sponsor! Goslings has signed on board to be our rum sponsor. I found out tonight there are a few rooms left at the crown plaza in downtown hampton out of our block. If anyone is interested in a room let me know and I'll provide a password to get the pirate rate for ya. One room per requestor please.

Dutch -

Message sent.

Hooky

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

We're in! Setting sail before dawn on the 31st, yo ho.

14th Annual Blackbeard Pirate Festival Announces Complete Schedule--Demise of most daunting colonial pirate celebrated May 31- June 2 in downtown Hampton;Prepare to Walk the Plank!!-- Hampton, VA- Pillage and plunder your way through the coastal seaport city of Hampton, Virginia this May 31-June 2 when the 14th annual Hampton Blackbeard Pirate Festival returns for another year of swashbuckling excitement! Celebrate Hampton’s rich maritime heritage by commemorating the demise of our most infamous visitor, Captain Edward Teach, a.k.a. Blackbeard the Pirate. Beginning May 31, roughly 50,000 seafaring attendees, as well as Blackbeard and his crew, will once again invade downtown Hampton during the 14th annual Blackbeard Pirate Festival! Interact with Blackbeard (personified by first-person interpreter Ben Cherry) and more than 100 other authentically costumed pirate re-enactors as they run rampant on the streets of America’s oldest continuous English-speaking settlement. The festivities kick off Friday night, May 31, 7:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m., at the Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina Hotel with the 14th annual Grand Pirates Ball (creative black tie or period attire enforced). The celebration, a recreation of Blackbeard’s Party at Okracoke, will feature Caribbean food, adult beverages, live music, and more. Though the festival is free, there is an admission charge for the ball. Tickets are $35 in advance and $40 at the door. Advance tickets can be purchased beginning May 1 at http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=22339. Saturday’s activities include a swarm of extemporized street skirmishes between pirates and militia (costumed interpreters), a replica of Blackbeard’s pirate camp, complete with living history interpreters teaching the skills of the sailor circa 1700, and the trial and escape of William Howard, one of Blackbeard’s fellow pirates with ties to Hampton. Don’t miss the exhilarating re-enactment of the classic sea battle between Lt. Maynard and Blackbeard, featuring two full - scale replica vessels in the Hampton Harbor. At the conclusion of the sea battle a presentation ceremony takes place in which Blackbeard’s severed head will be bestowed upon Virginia Governor Alexander Spotswood (1710-1722). Visitors can participate in the festivities when they join Blackbeard’s funeral parade, Hampton’s own version of Mardi Gras, and share in the booty from the treasure chest.This year, the Hampton Blackbeard Pirate Festival welcomes three tall ships to the downtown docks: MEKA II, Serenity, and Bonny Rover. Based in Beaufort, NC MEKA II has an overall length of 54' and is a 2/3 - scale replica of an 17th Century, two masted pirate brigantine armed with 8 cannons. Her homeport is Beaufort, North Carolina where locals and tourist take pride in her ongoing efforts to preserve maritime heritage. The 65’ gaff rigged schooner Serenity was built in 1986 in North Carolina. Serenity is currently offering Pirate Cruises and Private Charters for Yorktown Sailing Charters in Yorktown, VA. Bonny Rover, a gaff-rigged topsail schooner, is an updated design of an 18th-century revenue cutter. Free tours of all three tall ships will be given over Blackbeard weekend.This year, the event will once again feature the Blackbeard children’s area, highlighting the Little Swashbuckler’-s Stage. The stage will host several performances, including special performances and a variety of musical acts. In addition to the children’s area, guests will have the opportunity to stroll through Blackbeard’s Pirate Camp where they can learn how to use a cutlass, load a cannon, or even sing a sea chantey at Pirate’s Cove. At Mill Point Park, visitors can also explore a collection of 17th& 18th century period vendors selling items such as jewelry, clothing, art, and personal accessories. Another highlight of Pirate’s Cove is the Silkie’s Hyde Tavern, a rustic tavern-style throwback to what a Hampton bar would have looked like in the 18th century. Feel free to rub elbows with some of the local swashbucklers and be served by wenches. Other weekend amusements include jugglers, musicians, a pirate procession, street entertainers, cannon fire at Battery Point, period weaponry demonstrations, bird shows, and more. Head downs Queens Way to check out the Blackbeard stage, complete with daytime pirate entertainment. In addition, Hampton Youth Bands, Ohana Style, Blue Ridge Country, DFD, The UnXpected, User Friendly and Inferno; and the USAF Blue Aces, will provide live music over the weekend. Saturday night will conclude with a dramatic fireworks display at 9:00 p.m. over the Hampton River! 14th annual Blackbeard Pirate Festival Full Schedule Friday, May 31 Grand Pirates Ball 7pm-11pmCrowne Plaza Hampton Marina HotelTickets are $35 in advance and $40 at the door. Advance tickets can be purchased at http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=22339. Saturday, June 1- Sunday, June 2 Bunch of Grapes Tavern:Saturday, June 1

11:00am House of Cadarn

12:00pm Shadow Players

12:30pm Picaroon School of Piracy & Privateering

1:00 The Brigands

2:00pm Stephen Christoff

2:30pm Calico Jenny

4:00pm Shadow Players

5:00pm Picaroon School of Piracy & Privateering

5:30pm Clan MacCool

6:30pm Wenches of Syrens Call

7:00pm The Brigands

8:00pm Pub Sing

Sunday, June 2

12:00pm The Brigands

1:00pm Calico Jenny

2:00pm Clan MacCool

3:00pm The Brigands

4:00pm Pub Sing

Lil Swashbucklers’ Stage Schedule:Saturday, June 1

10:00am Meet Captain Jack

10:30am Cliff Long

11:30am C Shells

12:30pm Meet Captain Jack

1:00pm Bawdy Buccaneers

1:30pm Pep the Juggling Pirate

2:00pm Shadow Players

2:30pm Picaroon School of Piracy & Privateering

3:00pm Pep the Juggling Pirate

3:30pm C Shells

4:30pm Cliff Long

5:30pm Meet Captain Jack

6:00pm C Shells

7:00pm Cliff Long

Sunday, June 2

12:00pm Meet Captain Jack

12:30pm Picaroon School of Piracy & Privateering

1:00pm C Shells

2:00pm Pep the Juggling Pirate

2:30pm Bawdy Buccaneers

3:00pm Picaroon School of Piracy & Privateering

3:30pm Meet Captain Jack

4:00pm C Shells

Pirate Hunters’ Camp:Saturday, June 1

10:00am Darcy Nair

10:30am Robin Welch

11:00am Stephen Christoff

11:30am Clan MacCool

12:30pm Motley Tones

1:30pm Darcy Nair

2:00pm Bawdy Buccaneers

2:30pm House of Cadarn

3:30pm Wenches of Syrens Call

4:00pm Calico Jenny

4:30pm Bawdy Buccaneers

5:00pm Stephen Christoff

5:30pm House of Cadarn

6:00pm Darcy Nair

6:30pm Robin Welch

7:00pm Stephen Christoff

Sunday, June 2

12:00pm Darcy Nair

12:30pm House of Cadarn

1:00pm Wenches of Syrens Call

1:30pm Motley Tones

2:30pm Calico Jenny

3:30pm Stephen Christoff

4:00pm House of Cadarn

Blackbeard Stage :Saturday, June 1

10:00am Bawdy Buccaneers

11:00am Darcy Nair

12:00pm Robin Welch

12:30pm Wenches of Syrens Call

1:00pm House of Cadarn

2:00pm Wenches of Syrens Call

2:30pm The Brigands

3:30pm Motley Tones

4:30pm Ohana Style (Youth band)

5:00pm Rellen (Youth band)

6:00pm The UnXpected (Youth band)

7:00pm Jack DeWitt (Youth band)

8:00PM Blue Ridge Country (Youth band)

9:30pm The Blue Aces from the USAF Heritage of America Band

Sunday, June 2

12:00pm Stephen Christoff

12:30pm Robin Welch

1:00pm Bawdy Buccaneers

2:00pm Stephen Christoff

2:30pm Wenches of Syrens Call

3:00pm Darcy Nair

Battery Point:Saturday, June 1

10:30am Hawk & Owl Show

11:00am Motley Tones

12:00pm Cannon Shoot

1:00pm Cannon Shoot & Demo

1:15pm Cutlass Lessons

1:55pm Cannon Shoot

2:00pm Robin Welch

3:00pm Oreo the Bad Pirate Bird

3:30pm Darcy Nair

4:00pm Small Arms Weapons Demo

4:30pm Crudbeard’s Cannon Lesson

5:00pm Cutlass Lessons

5:30pm Walk the Plank

5:55pm Cannon Shoot

6:00pm Cutlass Lessons

Sunday, June 2

12:00pm Hawk & Owl Show

12:55pm Cannon Shoot

1:00pm Crudbeard’s Cannon Lesson

1:30pm Small Arms Weapons Demo

2:00pm Cutlass Lessons

2:30pm Robin Welch

3:00pm Oreo the Bad Pirate Bird

4:00pm Cannon Shoot & Demo

Living History- Orders of the Day: Saturday, June 110:00am Cannon Barrage to open Festival Battery Point10:00am Address by Governor Spotswood Bunch of Grapes Tavern10:15am Tavern Talk Bunch of Grapes Tavern11:00am Naval/Pirate Skirmish Waterfront11:30am Merchant Vessel Seizure Waterfront12:30pm Skirmish Battery Point12:30pm The Press Gang Carousel Park2:15pm Blackbeard’s Last Fight Waterfront3:15pm Dockside Processional & Trial Bunch of Grapes Tavern5:30pm Pirate Funeral Corner of Wine & Queens Way9:00pm Fireworks Battery Point Sunday, June 211:55am Cannon Fire to Open Festival Battery Point12:45pm Pirates Strike Back Waterfront3:00pm The Press Gang Carousel Park6:00pm Festival Closing Cannons Battery Point The Blackbeard Pirate Festival is schedule as follows: 7:00 p.m. -11:00 p.m. on Friday, May 31 (Blackbeard Ball- Ticketed Event); 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 1; and Noon- 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

oh man. a full day of recovering needed for this years festival. Thank you one and all for another great year! We truly took hampton by storm and rocked the city. We have learned a valuable lesson though. 6 pound cannons should not be fired under bridges............. anyhow, we are meeting next week to start planning for the 15th annual blackbeard festival.

oh man. a full day of recovering needed for this years festival. Thank you one and all for another great year! We truly took hampton by storm and rocked the city. We have learned a valuable lesson though. 6 pound cannons should not be fired under bridges............. anyhow, we are meeting next week to start planning for the 15th annual blackbeard festival.

Dutch -

Pleasure to have finally met you and Grace.

What a blast... walk around all weekend in kit and you felt like part o' the town.

I'm already looking forward to the 15th Annual.

Jas. Hook

Note: must get the fried oyster vendor on Queen Street closer to the pirate camp. ;)

ahoy all,

Has anyone else suffered from the Hampton cruds? I've been down with a nasty cold for the last week. I can't thank everyone enough for the great turn out for this years festival. I got to meet more Pubsters this year- what a great time. We are meeting Thursday and I would like input to take to the committee to improve next years festival. So please post away.

On an exciting note, 1st Mate Mat donated a beautiful dagger to the Foundation and we began a silent auction at the festival- we will be posting pictures of it shortly and continuing the bidding until the 4th of July!

• 11 months later...

Hi!

There doesn't seem to be a 2014 version of this thread, so I'm posting here.

I am so impressed with how this community pulls together to make this event happen! And how they honor their own. Rob and I are so glad we were able to be part of the show and are talking about plans for next year :D

Jen -

It was a pleasure to meet and chat with you.

Jas. Hook