Duckfoot pistols?

Swashbuckler 1700

A Couple of years ago I read "The Illustrated History of Weaponry" by Chuck Wills and the book made me wonder how old duck-foot pistols are? That multi-barreled handgun was said to be favored by sea captains because it was good tool to repel multiple enemies like mutinous crew. They were used in some point of during the 18th century but what about Gaop? In movie "Cutthroat Island" there was a one of these guns but since it was a movie it does not mean anything. I would see the gun rather good weapon of choice in boarding action since it worked quite similarly than the classical blunderbuss.

Some pictures of these pistols

duckfoot.jpg

10730757_1.jpg?v=8CDFA1D87D5A870

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

I'm moving this the the Weapons forum where it belongs.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

The "boxlock" that is the primary style of lock used in duckfoot pistols was not in use during the GAoP.

That is interesting.

I ques the box lock is the same lock that can be seen in later 18th century Queen Anne pistols. http://www.cowansauc...ges/fff8800.jpg

Ahh one more movie anachronism...

Still at least two and three barreled pistols were used even in the era of whee-lock pistols in 1570's. So yes for multi-barreled guns but no for the duck-foot pistols (in gaop). But still the question remains how old is the duck-foot guns? At least they had appeared before 1780's.

And

Mission I knew you would do that but I figured it out too late and I could not move it here. Thank you and sorry for putting this tread in the wrong place (BTW I guess the "Black Muskets" tread is still on Twill https://pyracy.com/in...-black-muskets/ )

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

John Paul Jones

When it comes to Queen Anne pistols I like to simply and only classify those that have the integrated side plate and turn off barrel as "Queen Anne" As far as GAoP multiple barrel guns go I have heard there was a forerunner of the Nock Volley Gun (7 barrel shoulder fired carbine), There is the "Puckle Gun" (rotating drum swivel cannon capable of 63 shots in 7 min), and here is a picture of a snaplock pistol for you as well gallery_6250_188_62140.jpg

id.jpg

I find that 16th century revolver interesting... Puckle guns are funny too...

Loving pictures here we have a design for buckle gun

PuckleGun.gif

and speaking of just many barreled guns here is nice circa 1650 pistol

148355_942966.jpg

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

John Paul Jones

ahh well if you want to include double barrels you have the options for a double barrel double lock (over/under or side by side), swivel breech, or my personal favorite sliding pan. Actually in the next year or so I may have a puckle gun built, a nock volley gun and an over/under sliding pan built . . .

id.jpg

ahh well if you want to include double barrels you have the options for a double barrel double lock (over/under or side by side), swivel breech, or my personal favorite sliding pan. Actually in the next year or so I may have a puckle gun built, a nock volley gun and an over/under sliding pan built . . .

Interesting.

I am wondering this just for fun. BTW do you know which one of those were most common designs?

John Paul Jones