How to read Knitting instructions?

MadL

I have never knitted in my life and I am trying to learn how to read the instructions but after watching some videos and going through various beginer guides I am still a bit fuzzy as to how to interpret some of the instructions:

**What does it mean when it says "Row xx to yy: Knit" verses "Row x: Knit 4" (and then Knit 3, Knit 2, etc?) - I believe it is reducing the size, but does that some how mean 'skipping" some?

- also what does the "Repeat" at the end of some steps mean? are you 'repeating the K2tog step or the entire row?

example:

Rows 21-45: Knit

Row 46: Knit 4, k2tog; repeat

Rows 47-49: Knit

Row 50: Knit 3, k2tog; repeat

Rows 51-54: Knit

Row 55: Knit 2, K2tog; repeat

Row 56-58: Knit

Row 59: Knit 1, K2tog; repeat

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

Alrighty, in your example, "Rows 21-45: Knit" means to just knit every row from beginning to end (that is, all knit stitches, no purling, nothing fancy, just knit knit knit). You're basically correct on your guesses about the other instructions: For row 46, for example, you would keep doing "knit 4, k2tog" over and over all the way across the row (knit 4, k2tog, knit 4, k2tog, knit 4, k2tog...). There's no skipping involved, at least not in the pattern in your example; since k2tog combines two stitches into one, you're reducing the number of stitches overall by a certain interval, and so to keep things even that interval decreases as the total number of stitches decreases. A lot of patterns I've seen will note the number of stitches left at the end of each row that involves decreases or increases, to help the knitter keep track of where they are and make sure they haven't missed anything important.

When I learned to knit a few years ago, I learned most of the basics (and a lot of beyond-the-basics) from http://www.knittinghelp.com and the forums there and on http://www.ravelry.com (which also has a massive searchable listing of free and not-as-free patterns, if you're interested) when I had questions.

I hope I've managed to help a little!

Thank ye much Gwen S.

But now my question would remain; just what is "Knit 4" "Knit 3" "Knit 2" "Knit 1"?

just what is the 'number' indicating?

Thank Ye Much! I think I understand now....now be time t' give it a try!

Can't cross that great expanse o' water without spilling a bit o' rum!

If you're planning on felting you hat when it is done..... it will hide some of your mistakes 8) (but it will be much warmer...)

This was my first knitting project.......

Pyrate-2.jpg

Nice cap Patrick.

MadL, as Gwen said Ravelry has a load of resources both historical and otherwise. It's free, but requires registration. One of the most authentic Monmouth patterns I have found is here:http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/monmouth-cap-the-details-matter. If I can get hold of a video camera, I will try to post some videos how-to's on Moumouth and Thrum caps.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

• 1 month later...

Ok, my first attempt it complete! Many errors and I had to learn to loosen up a bit for once I got to tapering with the K2TOGs I found I was really strong arming it a bit!! And my loop making on the brim is pretty sloppy - Next time I will nail it with no more missed knits!

Also I found a video that discusses proper measuring for fitting - this one I just went by the instructions posted (60 cast ons over three needles) but this 'non historic' tutorial says to first "knit a patch, measure how many knits in an inch and multiply by head size, find nearest integer of four (rounding down)", I am going to try that on my next one.

What I haven't figured out is how to do the button when closing it off? This one I just closed up 'beanie' style and then did a bit of cheating with a sail needle to close up some of my mistakes - but this one is not even period yard, just a trail run.

Now if I can just get some descriptions of how the 'button' is knitted (I want the 'small' button, not a dorset)

First Monmouth Cap

Capt Trueblood; that would be GRAND! i find it much easier if I can 'see' it done then trying to figure out from text instructions (I have texting turned OFF on my phone!)

Excellent work MadL. Your stitches should be fairly loose on the needles. The needle should slide easily through them. It might seem too loose at the time, but it will all sort out in the end.

As far as the "button" goes, despite what some sites say about it being a Dorset on top, it's really not. Just looks like one. Just decrease until you have 6, 9, or 12 stitches on the needles, cast-off leaving a generous tail. Then, gather the stitches up and wrap them with the tail like you were wrapping the shank on a sewn-on button.Pull the wrapping taught and sew through the shank a couple of times to secure it. The stitches above the wrap will flare out to form the "button." The more stitches you leave, the larger the button. You will see how it looks like a Dorset, but isn't.

The "non-historical" tut is correct, to a point. Everybody knits a little differently. I knit my Monmouths with 60 stiches on US 11 needles with "bulky" yarn. They are a little on the large size, but when felted, shrink down to fit. You can either do what the tut says, or use a different size needle to get the right size with 60 stitches. I usually do a combination of the two. The pattern will give you a gauge ( x stitches and y rows per inch) and a size ( for a head circumference of x inches). If your knitting is different than the gauge, change your needle size to fit. If your head size is different, change the number of stitches accordingly.

I guess I'll start putting some videos together.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

• 3 weeks later...

Thank ye much Capt Trueblood! I will try that with me next cap - yarn should be here in a week or two (coming this time from UK)

Your welcome, MadL. I managed to get ahold of a video camera, tweaked my patterns a bit, and will begin shooting my tutorial videos this week for the Monmouth and Thrum Caps. I hope to have at least the Monmouth posted within the next two weeks.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

• 4 weeks later...

(bloody real-life stuff) Back again, will be keeping a weathered eye out Capt. Trueblood! I am getting near the closing point of my second attempt - this time a nice blend of brown alpaca with black sheep's wool - has a nice feel too, and without the itch!