Frenchman's Creek (film)

Jib

This past weekend I watched a Master piece theater version of "Frenchman's Creek" from the late 90's. I really enjoyed the DVD. Purchased it from Amazon for under $15.00 USD. I don't know how period the costuming is but it looked wonderful!

Considering reading the novel having seen the movie.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check it out. BBC costumes are usually pretty good. I guess they care about history over there.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Jib, I gave Frenchman's Creek a shot and ordered it from Amazon yesterday.

Another interesting series that is currently in production is Courage, New Hampshire. It is just pre-RevWar setting and into it's 4th episode. I'm looking for it to continue.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Yeah I must admit there is a romance aspect to the film. That doesn't bother me, indeed it makes the story better!

OK, let's name the ones that didn't have a bit o' romance in them. ^_^

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

I have seen Plunkett and MacLeane (and even own a copy on VHS tape) and enjoyed it! Be warned however that it is more of a fanciful tale told with some modern music and a romance. Does have some wonderful images of the hell that was New Gate prison.

Jib -

Frenchman's Creek came in the mail yesterday (boy Amazon is getting fast).

Watched it last night. Good story but I didn't expect the ending.

Thanks for the tip on the movie.

Jas. Hook ;)

A fanvid for the PBS mini-series "Frenchman's Creek", based on the classic romance novel by Daphne du Maurier, starring Tara Fitzgerald as Lady Dona St. Columb and Anthony Delon as the French pyrate captain Jean-Benoit Aubery.

Edited by Bright

A fanvid for the PBS mini-series "Frenchman's Creek", based on the classic romance novel by Daphne du Maurier, starring Tara Fitzgerald as Lady Dona St. Columb and Anthony Delon as the French pyrate captain Jean-Benoit Aubery.

that's the movie!

Jib -

Frenchman's Creek came in the mail yesterday (boy Amazon is getting fast).

Watched it last night. Good story but I didn't expect the ending.

Thanks for the tip on the movie.

Jas. Hook ;)

I didn't either but I rather liked it! :D