In search of wooden spars

Dutchman

Ahoy all,

The Colonial Seaport Foundation is in search of wooden spars to complete the rigging of Luna, our reproduction 18th century Bermuda sloop. In light of recent weather events there may be destroyed boats with wooden masts and booms remaining. We are also looking for stainless steel rigging. The spars we are looking for are a boom 35 feet long- most likely this will be a mast refitted, and a 27 foot bowsprit, again most likely a mast refitted. We can arrange for shipping anywhere on the east coast. If anyone has any leads please let me know.

Thanks,

Dutch

www.colonialseaport.org

Can't even get to the coast in most areas yet. Inland, it's a sin all the downed trees that are just being cut and ground up.

However some sharpies with the equipment to handle the logs are picking lumber lengths.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

There's a thought...try to obtain some raw lumber for the spars and either hand lathe it (if you want the real authentic look in about 10 years!), or see if someone close by can turn them in to spars for you (Mystic Seaport comes to mind, but there might be someone closer/cheaper). I've got a Sitka Spruce in my front yard that you're free to cut down and have, but I think the shipping from Alaska would make it just a bit prohibitive...

Arrrgh!

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

mystic has the only lathe on the east coast that i know of that can turn one. bloody big thing. I'd hate to see something spin free from it. rest are machine or hand planed down- still impressive to see. I'm hoping to find a couple of orphaned spars that can be reworked to fill our needs. I have a pile of oak drying from a previous storm myself.