HMS Bounty crew abandons ship

MadMike

Hope the crew is alright-

Coast Guard responds to vessel in distress 160 miles from hurricane's center

PORTSMOUTH, Va. — The Coast Guard is responding to a distressed vessel with 17 people aboard approximately 90 miles southeast of Hatteras N.C., Monday.

Coast Guard Sector North Carolina received a call from the owner of the 180-foot, three mast tall ship, HMS Bounty, saying she had lost communication with the vessel's crew late Sunday evening.

The Coast Guard 5th District command center in Portsmouth subsequently received a signal from the emergency position indicating radio beacon registered to the Bounty, confirming the distress and position.

An air crew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City launched aboard an HC-130 Hercules aircraft, which later arrived on scene and reestablished communications with the Bounty's crew.

The vessel is reportedly taking on water and is without propulsion. The Coast Guard is continuing to monitor the Bounty's situation.

On scene weather is reported to be 40 mph winds and 18-foot seas. The vessel is approximately 160 miles west of the eye of hurricane Sandy.

source- http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/1591447/Coast-Guard-responds-to-vessel-in-distress-160-miles-from-hurricane-s-center

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/29/14775512-helicopter-sent-to-rescue-17-people-who-abandoned-hms-bounty-off-nc-coast?lite

By NBC News staff

Updated at 9:15 a.m. ET: A helicopter rescue operation was under way Monday for 17 people who abandoned the HMS Bounty as the ship was sinking off the coast of North Carolina, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

"Our helicopter has arrived on scene and the hoisting operation is under way," according to one Coast Guard official.

The ship issued a distress signal late Sunday after taking on water, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

The owner of the 180-foot, three mast ship -- which was built for the 1962 Marlon Brando movie, "Mutiny on the Bounty" -- lost communication with the crew and alerted the Coast Guard to the situation.

Read more at the link.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/29/ns-hms-bounty-hurricane-sandy.html?cmp=googleeditorspick

2 missing as Hurricane Sandy sinks HMS Bounty

16 crew members in 2 life-rafts off North Carolina coast

CBC News

Posted: Oct 29, 2012 6:49 AM AT

Last Updated: Oct 29, 2012 10:43 AM AT

Two crew members of a Nova Scotia-built replica vessel are missing after abandoning ship off the coast of North Carolina in high seas brought on by Hurricane Sandy.

Officials with the U.S. Coast Guard told CBC News the 16-member crew of HMS Bounty decided to abandon ship after getting caught in 5.5-metre seas off Cape Hatteras on Monday.

All the crew members made it onto two life-rafts but only 14 people were hoisted onto helicopters, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Brendan Selerno. He said officials have not yet had the chance to debrief the 14 survivors to find out what happened to the two other crew members.

Selerno said the two missing crew members are believed to be in survival suits. He said the air search is being plotted based on wind direction and speed, and will be expanded.

HMS Bounty sank several hours after the evacuation.

Read more at the link.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

The Monday-morning quarterbacking on the internet is going full force this morning. "Why were they out there with a storm coming?" "Lost power? How come they didn't put up the sails?" "Sounds fishy - must have been an insurance scam." "I don't want to pay for this fiasco - fine everyone onboard $100,000."

I forgot that everybody on the internet is an expert on every goddamned thing ever.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I can't believe that such vile and bitter thoughts could be posted, especially as there are still missing.

Those are sons and daughters and brothers and sisters and mothers and fathers out there, and some guy behind a desk in the midwest who thinks he knows it all thinks it's an insurance scam? Or doesn't think we should maintain a coast guard because $20 of his tax bill supports it? I swear, our civilization is growing more and more uncivilized.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

The Monday-morning quarterbacking on the internet is going full force this morning. "Why were they out there with a storm coming?" "Lost power? How come they didn't put up the sails?" "Sounds fishy - must have been an insurance scam." "I don't want to pay for this fiasco - fine everyone onboard $100,000."

I forgot that everybody on the internet is an expert on every goddamned thing ever.

Agreed. My yahoo page had a couple of stories running and the comments section had my blood boiling in short order. Makes a good case for ending those comment sections. What a tragic loss of life and history. May peace be with those who are most directly affected.

Bo

The things being said on the Bounty's Facebook page are awful- even knowing full well that the families of the crew read them, uninformed people still continue to make nasty comments. There is a time to deconstruct what happened..now is not it, when there is still a missing person...

Edited by Gunpowder Gertie
BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg