Secret Gift Exchange 2012

Duchess

It's time for the Secret Gift Exchange! Those of you who've been around know we've done this for the last several years with a reasonable amount of success and a few of us/you were looking forward to it again this year. If you're not looking forward to it, you can move along, or you can blame your compatriots who are. Or you can just blame me, I like this event. :D

So here's how it’s going to work:

Who is eligible:

• Any current member of the Pub is eligible. If you’ve only been around a few months, I’ll pair you with someone else in equal standing. The understanding being that this would put those newer members on equal footing, as both parties would be taking a risk with unknowns.

• Regardless of membership status, by signing up you solemnly agree that you will provide some sort of pleasant contact with your designated recipient. If you don't I'll be distinctly displeased with you and highly unlikely to allow participation in the future.

What you'll do:

• After the sign-up cut-off I will PM you the name and address of your Designated Recipient.

• Sometime in the near future you will put something in the mail, timed so as to arrive before December 25, for your Designated Recipient.

What you will send:

• Often these sorts of arrangements come with a dollar amount limit. I’m not convinced that is appropriate for some place like the Pub, and things have been pretty successful for the last several years without one. Please don't let this lack of specification make you uncomfortable. Also know that you're not buying our friendship, respect or any other sort of attention, so don't bother showing off. We'll just mock you. Things that people have done in the past: Holiday Cards, CD's, dice, a deck of cards, belt pouches, glass pens, etc.... Basically anything goes as long as it is kind and reasonably well intentioned. If this section is really stressing you out PM me, and we'll come up with something or I'll give you quantitative limits to make you feel better.
  • The most successful gifts are often hand crafted.

How to sign up:

• Send me a PM with your name (or something the post office will recognize as a name capable of receiving pacakages) and an address.
  • If you would like to include a SHORT list of things you are interested in to help your Designated Giver, please feel free. Note that I said things you are interested in, not a shopping list. Please don’t sign up if you simply expect to check one more thing off your “I want” list. This list is by no means a requirement; in fact I think part of the fun in this is the mystery.

• Each interested party must contact me themselves, from their own account. I won't sign anyone up on someone else's say so. Simply expressing interest here. You must send me a PM with your name and address. This is a test.

• I MUST RECEIVE YOUR PM BY NOON CT ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9th FOR YOU TO PARTICIPATE!

• I will then mix up all the entries and pair up everyone. I'll then send you a PM by November 16th containing the name and address of your Designated Recipient.

• You will then find, craft, beg, or barter something for them and post it off to the supplied address. Please let me know when your package has shipped.

• After the Gift exchange is complete everyone should purge their PM's of sensitive identifying information (like names and addresses) and I will do the same.

• You're free to open your Gift whenever you get it (or to wait for some special day) and post here in great detail about it. But let’s have the exchange complete before we start identifying ourselves as "giver of ...."

If you've any questions please post here or send me a PM.

Thanks,

Duchess.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I am in!

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

I've missed a few but I'll do it again this year.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

How to sign up:

• Send me a PM with your name (or something the post office will recognize as a name capable of receiving pacakages) and an address.

• Each interested party must contact me themselves, from their own account.

• I MUST RECEIVE YOUR PM BY NOON CT ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 9th FOR YOU TO PARTICIPATE!

So far I have 8 of you signed up.

If you haven't received a message from me saying you are officially signed up...you aren't.

Now if that bothers you, if you don't like being left out of the fun and frolic that is the secret gift exchange, you should act now!

Send me a pm including your name and address!

You never know what delights you will find in your mail box! Will it be a handmade card? A box of coco? A bawdy pirate statue? (ps. Whoever sent me that, it still comes out as the center piece for Thanksgiving every year much to the chagrin of my grandmother!)

Mystery! Surprise! Scandal! It could all be yours by participating in the Pirate's Secret Gift Exchange!

8?

8!

8 out of how many members here?

What a bunch of wankers! Tossers! Crouching masturbators!

But that's just my opinion.

Tossers!

I heartily agree! This pub seemed much more social before it was so big. You'd think a large group of us would be able to get together on a somewhat non-secular gift exchange based more around breaking the law of the sea than any established religion. Then again, how many pirates really like to give stuff away willingly (except to exotic girls in accommodating ports)? I guess it's just us few, superior gentlemen (and women) who will hopefully escape the noose due to this trifling show of goodwill towards each other.

Arrrgh!

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Well, there was one more who snuck in and one that I'm waiting on hearing back from.

So, I'll extend the sign up through the weekend, just in case any one is swayed more by name calling than enthusiastic descriptions. :)

Name calling?

I thought my post was "light encouragement"!

Ah! But I despair at this poor showing.

In prior years, as we approach the Winter Solstice, the Pyrate Secret Gift Exchange has been a highlight of the season.

I have been delighted and amazed by the generosity, creativity, skill, and resourcefulness variously shown by the men and women of these waters by the gifts they have chosen to share.

As for myself, this poor seadog has been priviliged to be the recipient of some fine swag: considered, heartfelt, and thoughtful (you know who you are; know too you ever have my gratitude).

I can only hope that the recipients of my humble offerings found themselves likewise enriched by the exchange.

Some years the sweet trade proves more lucrative than others. No doubt, many among us have hauled home more booty in prior years than in this.

Though we tighten our belts, watch our stores, and brace against the building cold; let us not succumb to parsimoniousness of spirit!

Spirit, after all, is what this Secret Gift Exchange is all about. Esprit de corps. A kind reminder that, although we sit moored in many and varied far flung, removed, and distant ports, we share a common bond as a band of ne'er do wells, scallawags, cut throats, buccaneers, and yes, even swashbucklers!

So, kudos to those noble few already at the ready.

Encouragement to those plagued by vacillation and hesitation.

And our sympathy to all others.

Your messages are sent. Each of you has been given the name of one of your compatriots. Go forth and spread some cheer!

I also want to say though I may appear gruff with all my rules and attention to detail for this event, I look forward to it every single year. So thank you all for participating and making it happen year after year!

Woo Hoo! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank to my British Secret Santa! <3 I received a pirate logbook which will be used as a cherished family scrapbook...

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

So far I have 8 of you signed up.
8?

8!

8 out of how many members here?

What a bunch of wankers! Tossers! Crouching masturbators!

But that's just my opinion.

Tossers!

I heartily agree! This pub seemed much more social before it was so big. You'd think a large group of us would be able to get together on a somewhat non-secular gift exchange based more around breaking the law of the sea than any established religion. Then again, how many pirates really like to give stuff away willingly (except to exotic girls in accommodating ports)? I guess it's just us few, superior gentlemen (and women) who will hopefully escape the noose due to this trifling show of goodwill towards each other.

Arrrgh!

Not wanting to spam everybody, I've been reluctant to make use of the onboard PM broadcast message system. Not that it's anybody's fault ( except maybe mine ), I think our Secret Santa Gift Exchange may suffer from a lack of promotion. Next year if Duchess takes on the thankless job, we'll send a PM to everyone's message box and post a simple announcement banner in the forums. . . maybe even make an advertisement banner.