Your "authentic" Pirate Kit - Pictures

Ahoy Shipmates!

I only drop by the Pyracy.com port occasionally, and one of the things I like to do is see how the state of authentic pirate re-enacting/lving history is doing. Some of you old deck hands are really plugging away at it and its impressive. Some of you new(er) folks, are standing on the shoulders of those that came before and are REALLY doing a top ship-shape job.

If I could be so bold, I'd love to have/see a thread in C-Twill for just those pictures of you guys in your "accurate", "authentic", "period correct" or whatever its called these days, pirate kits.

I know some of you aren't there yet..... BUT please post pictures of your "in progress" kits too!

YES - I know there are galleries and other threads on this site for pictures, but we usually have to sift through the pirate belly dancers, hollywierd skeleton pirates, and Jack Sparrow clones to get to the "autheticals". Not that there is anything WRONG with that stuff... the priate community is, after all, a big ol' sailing ship with plenty o' room for all types.

So... for the innaugal photo, and the picture that inspired this thread... I present somebody other than myself, as I can't seem to find any pics of me in my stuff... my avatar is all I can find.

Anyway.....

Ivan Henry... come on down, you are the next contestant on, "Man, your kit is AWESOME!"

243626_467799733232914_1370681808_o.jpg

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen this pic before, and I wanna make sure it gets all the kudos it should

Cuisto Mako...

costume_boucanier002.jpg

Is that not just INCREDIBLY AWESOME???? !!!!!!

Its one thing to talk the talk, but dude, you are walking the WALK!

Great Job! Now get outside and stand around a campfire!

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

LUCAS WELSH

CIMG0032-1.jpg

His post stated, "No frills, just a simple pirate"

Ironically, its not simple at all! I am loving the look! Nice job on this outfit... love the slop hose... and the shoes look great too!

OK.. I am done for now... please post some of your own!

No wait... one more!

bo-hunter012.jpg

Cpt Bo is one of my favorites. He is the honey badger of the he Pirate Re-enacting world... don't believe me...

And I mean that with the greatest respect in the world Bo!

we are just eatin' your scraps.

Well, done sir, well done!

My biggest hurdle to authenticity (besides shoes and a sweet beard or 'stache) has always been my weight. But I love me some fried cracklins, what can I say?

gallery_949_245_6409.jpg

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Dang, wish I would have brought my earphones with me. Couldn't get the narration on the video.

Thanks for the kind words, but that ain't really my pyratey kit. ;) I'll have to try and get some current pics up.

Here is my first attempt from about 2006/07:

pyrate2.jpg

Heres me at Ft. DeChartres with some of the Mercury Crew June 2011

DSC_0100.jpg

Almost forgot this one!:

bomwing001.jpg

OK, last edit, but this is my Mother's favorite from last year Halloween day:

halloween2011002.jpg

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Someone needs to post a picture of Patrick Hand. He's a classic, and has helped a lot of others get gear together...including Mission's hat. B)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Here ya' go...

Missions_Hat_Patrick_Hand_mooseworth.jpg

I don't know what GoF will make of the hat, but Patrick and Michael have both assured me it's PC.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Bo

You Gotta here the narration on the Honey Badger... it'll bust your sides!

Great pics guys.. I wasn't leavin' anyone out... Pat Hand is in my personal Pirate/Bucc "Hall of Fame" awesome re-enactor.

Matty... love that short jacket... and its lined with some righteous checked linen too! You are doing great! I myself have lost a ton of weight... well, not a ton, but 40lbs over the last year... Switched to a vegan diet and the pounds are just falling away...

But thats another post topic all to itself.

Keep the pics coming guys... VERY impressed!

40 lbs.? Holy moly! Are you starting a new kit, or does the old one fit better now?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Her's one of my late 16th Century kit, taken on the Half Moon.

post-407-0-55030000-1350613027_thumb.jpg

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

This is the Mercury Crew from the September 2011 Santa Maria event in Columbus, OH (You have to ignore the guy in front and the girl in white and black, but other than them it's a pretty good representation of a PC crew):

486867_425514100829782_186020333_n.jpg

This is the Mercury and Forsaken Crews from the May 2012 Santa Maria event in Columbus, OH (where we specifically asked only folks in fairly reasonable PC garb to be in the photo):

577062_368833696497823_967604479_n.jpg

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Some REALLY great stuff...

I especailly like the striped slops in Missions post #10... the guy with the blue jacket... forgive my ignorance, but who is that?

Whoever... well done sir, well done!

FIrst Mate Matt

F104D90DSC_9829%20RESAMPLED.jpg

What a great shoe/slop combo you got there! Obviously, you have put a lot of time/effort/energy/thought into your kit!

Here is another that probably doesn't get the praise that it should...

P5028534.jpg

M.A d.Dogge... Most Impressive, Most impressive. I don't think most re-enactor have an idea of how cool that is. I doff my floppy hat to you in AWE!

While I appreciate some of you guys who are very humble, and describe your kits as "simple"... there is really no such thing. Nothing accurate is simple.

I really dig Brass' 1660s kit. Its the attention to detail that knocks my socks off...

LOVIN' the shoes!

P3050023.jpg

Well Done Brass, Well done!

J8ksdad

long.jpg

Very nice! Get some tooth black and some "pox" scars and folks would "stand back!"

I miight have to start a seperate thread for pics of ladies & wenches...

But here is one I stubled across...

mantua2.jpg

Great Job Redjessi !!!!

I especailly like the striped slops in Missions post #10... the guy with the blue jacket... forgive my ignorance, but who is that?

madPete_small__Kate.jpg

This is madPete. I believe he makes his own stuff.

Mission_banner5.JPG

madPete_small__Kate.jpg

This is madPete. I believe he makes his own stuff.

Aye! me linen petticoat trousers. I do make most of me own including leather.

I bought my shoe buckles from you, even though they don't show in this photo (1 of the last two if that rings a bell)

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

My thanks to Becky Bodily Cousineau for taking this picture of me at the Utah Pirate Festival. Interestingly enough, I had more than one public attendee ask me if 'I was the only historically dressed pirate' at the event. I did not expect to get that question as often as I did, but I was delighted that so much of the public was looking for something more.

The coat hanging behind me was a gift from Captain Sterling, and almost every pirate that came through the tent stopped to examine the hand covered buttons and tailoring.

581417_10151204302573427_1426384707_n.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Here is another that probably doesn't get the praise that it should...

P5028534.jpg

M.A d.Dogge... Most Impressive, Most impressive. I don't think most re-enactor have an idea of how cool that is. I doff my floppy hat to you in AWE!

This is one of my favorite outfits. First, because I 'get it', and second, it's well executed and M.A.D. Dogge puts on the proper pomp and circumstance.

My thanks to Becky Bodily Cousineau for taking this picture of me at the Utah Pirate Festival. Interestingly enough, I had more than one public attendee ask me if 'I was the only historically dressed pirate' at the event. I did not expect to get that question as often as I did, but I was delighted that so much of the public was looking for something more.

The coat hanging behind me was a gift from Captain Sterling, and almost every pirate that came through the tent stopped to examine the hand covered buttons and tailoring.

581417_10151204302573427_1426384707_n.jpg

I commented on this on FB, but, for the record, I really like the details in this one. Our QM at his work.

Also, in regard to MDs (smoking?) jacket, I would like it noted that I recognize it as significant because I make fun of that every time it first appears in the Surgeon's Journal. (Well, nearly every time.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

I have seen this pic before, and I wanna make sure it gets all the kudos it should

Cuisto Mako...

Is that not just INCREDIBLY AWESOME???? !!!!!!

Its one thing to talk the talk, but dude, you are walking the WALK!

Great Job! Now get outside and stand around a campfire!

Thanks for the kind words Greg, it means a lot to me, especially coming from you.

Now i'm about to put the final touch on that Boucanier kit.

I got my "fusil boucanier" last winter and some nice braintan mocassin, only thing missing now is a tapabord, that should be done this fall

So more pictures will follow. :)

Well thank William, for that bit of information. Nice to know.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well thank William, for that bit of information. Nice to know.

Everyone stopped to stare at the buttons and ask about the overall construction. Even the most devoted Jack Sparrows asked how such a coat could be made, and by whom.

Here are some more favorites of mine...

IMG_5893.JPG

IMG_9806.JPG

IMG_9661.JPGIMG_9725.JPG

IMG_9897.JPG

IMG_9730.JPG