Hanging Sleeves in the Buccaneers of America

Matty Bottles

So, I have been thinking about putting together a buccaneerings kit, and a spanish kit, and I've noticed some images in Buccaneers of America that show "hanging sleeves" - sleeves that are sort of option, I guess, attached at the top and back of the shoulder but with a wide enough space for you arms to completely miss them.

Does anyone have any info of surviving artifacts, or how long this style persisted in Spanish dress?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Pictures are worth a thousand words. ;)

I have a vented waistcoat with holes at the arm-pits, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Pictures are worth a thousand words. ;)

Hey, that's pretty good! That should be a saying or something! :P

From Buccaneers of America:

The_Buccaneers_of_America_19.jpg

Check out the guy being forced to eat the heart:

oloheart.jpg

And the guy with the powder apostles just about to be cut down:

439px-The_Buccaneers_of_America_17.jpg

And not from BoA but here anyway is the somewhat controversial Spanish Captain of 1700:

Spanish-capitano-1700.jpg

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

It's funny - in one of those photos the sleeves are tucked under a belt and look like a sash. I wonder if that's where Pyle et. al. got that notion from?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I will try and post pics later, but my interpretation of this is basically a vented sleeve on my doublet style coat. Last year at Searle's raid (and maybe the year before as well) I did wear my slitted arm green doublet, and when I got too warm I put my arms through the vents to cool off and it looked similar to that.

Michael_banner.jpg

I'd have to go dig out Janet Arnold's stuff on later period doublets....but just off the top of my head, I think there were sleeves that buttoned (or un-buttoned) all the way up the sleeve...

Wearing them un-buttoned would make sense... it's much hotter in the Caribbean than in England....

For some reason I thought that sort of sleeve died out by the ECW. Does anyone know how long it lasted in Spanish dress? The Spanish captain is the only example I can find that late.

- Capt. Joshua Slocum