fort de chartres, illinois

silas thatcher

This event actually evolved from a team woodswalk event. The woodswalk is still the focus of the November event and five man teams are put together for the challenges placed before them by the previous years' winning team. That's right, you win, your team is host for the following year. It is less "rendevous" oriented than the June event. I may see some of you there, depends on my funds and work availability.

Bo

What are the actual dates. I have one more War of 1812 obligation this season (and I think it is on the same weekend)... But if they are different weekends, I would definitely consider it.

Regarding the woods walk shoot. Do they have different categories for smooth-bore and rifle? Or would smoothbores be competing against rifles (hardly fair)... I have both, so can compete either way (as long as it isn;t the same weekend as the Muster on the Wabash event).

Michael_banner.jpg

Smoothbore and rifles are allowed mixed in the same groups. I have shot with both and there are many smoothbore shooters that make rifle shooters embarrassed! The team with the most wins are all smoothbore shooters and compete against rifles every year (and are the ones putting on this years shoot...again). The woodswalk is not strictly shooting skills either. There are lots of woodsmans skill and general period woodcraft knowledge elements to it, so shooting is only a part of the event. It is restricted to flintlock firearms though, no cappers. It is always a good time. Entry has always been a prize in the $20-$25 range as far as I know that still stands. Check the Ft. DeChartres website for details on camp fees though.

Bo

Snare setting? Firestarting? Which woodsman skills do they touch on in competition.

That depends largely on the host team and what they put together. Both firestarting and snare-setting have been incorporated in past events. Steel trap-steeing, animal track identification, tactical knowlegde (i.e. what would you do in this scenario?), keeping track of a stick-pony (a.k.a. pack horsey), rescue of captured women/children from hostiles, and paying attention to the "guide's" instructions so you don't shoot at targets you are not supposed to given certain scenarios, etc. It gets really interesting some years, even intense for some. It truly is like Forset Gump's "box-of-chocolates" quote. I talked to my friend Matthew (that was with me at the June event in 2011) last night and we may be carpooling again if I can swing the time and funds.

Bo