african mahogany wood

silas thatcher

recently had to cut up an old 1967 wooden boat.... some of the salvagable wood are pieces of african mahogany ( have to double check this still ) ... they are 2x6's in various lengths that still seem sound... any interest in this wood for gun stocks, etc ?? not real sure if they are pc or not but want them to go to some good use...

lemme know if anyone is interested

African Mahogany is very period for furniture in the 18th century. Box, cabinet and furniture makers loved African Mahogany, so there are numerous surviving antiques, but I've only ever seen it in one English Fowler piece from the period. It becomes very common in miquelet pistols after the start of the 1800s. It's a very tight grain wood and perfect for resistance to wet weather, so you'd think it would be found in a lot more fine, antique, surviving weapons of the period.

Ironically, there are lots of surviving mahogany gun cases/boxes from the 18th century.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Hmmmm..... Mahogany for my wheelock carbine? Not sure that 6" is deep enough for the club-butt without laminating though. Hmmm... Can you save me a piece of that about five feet long to look at Silas? I may be able to use it for my wheelock project.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

bo, i have some pieces that are 8" but not that long...should have thought of this before i let loose with the sawzall, but wasn't thinking at the time... i will probably bring what i have and sell it off, but like i said, these were the engine stringers and i want to make sure that these pieces are mahogany as well.... i'll make sure i save you what i think you need... and..... if i make it there...

bad news !! sanded the paint off the wood, didn't like what i saw... took a piece in to a local wood store and they verified that it is white oak :( oh, well, thought i ran into a little gold mine... still interest ?? or do i just have some ok wood good for a few things ??