Wheel-lock

Sorry, ran out of time on my session here at the library, had to wait a few to log back in. It has been a melancholy week helping go through Big Ed's stuff with his widow. Lot's of memories attached to the things we sorted through.

Anyhow, this is the lock that I have mentioned in the past, the one I tried to get my best friend to build a gun around in order to get him motivated and try to overcome the depression that came with his failing health. I want to do something with it but I suck at woodwork. At one time I saw a picture here of a large wall-type gun of 8 or 10 guage bore I think, mounted in a yoke. I copied that photo and sent it along to Ed but his widow and I could not locate it. This lock is a bit large for a pistol, so I am looking to build a longarm with it, most likely something close to that big wall gun. He would have liked that. Any help you folks could offer as to finding a big 8 or 10 bore barrel, and some help getting to inletting done would be appreciated. I have a neighbor that works for Fajen Gunstocks and he is going to help with getting the cherry stock blank when I decide on the barrel and style. Thinking fish-tail or club-butt. Suggestions for design will be appreciated as well.

Thanks...

Bo

I think I may have found you something Here: http://strzelecka.ne...llock_Plans.pdf

Good starting place if nothing else.

Edit: I took a closer look at the plans and it shows you how to make the lock as well as the finished gun. Wow. Amazing what one can find on the Interwebs.

(You know someone who works at Fajen...drooollll...)

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Yes, my next-door neighbor works at Fajen Gunstocks in Lincoln, MO. just 11 miles away from home. He also comes over to set out round bales for the horses since I no longer have a tractor.

Anyhow, thanks for that link! My wheel lock is fully assembled and functional, even has pyrite in the jaws already. I'm leaning more heavily towards a .75 calibre musket after talking to my local machinist/gunsmith. An 8 or 10 bore 4ft. long is more costly than I am willing to go. Probably going to be a .69 or .75 musket with Dutch influence. The club-butt on top?

http://www.williamma...ssFlintlock.jpg

Maybe this fishtail?

http://www.halfblogre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/wheellock_musket2.jpg

Ed's surname is Herzer, and he would have liked it built that way I think. Still open at this stage though.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I kinda like the way the club-butt flows...more graceful. And you can use it as a paddle!

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

Seconded, especially since you are a horseman. Now ya need to bring a horse to Key West and play an English commander.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

I dig the carbine - plus there aren't many folks I know rocking that length. If I recall, you have a pretty unique brace of arms - that little blunderbuss, and that hanger made from the 1840 bayonet, I think? You even once had a doglock made to look like a conversion from wheellock, I believe. This will be another addition to a very unique armoury. Go for it.

Man, I wish I was going again this year. :mellow:

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I talked to my local young longhunter friend Matthew last night and may have found the barrel and stock for this project already! I am going across the street to my gunsmith's shop when I leave here (the library) and see about getting some help with inletting things. This may not take as long as I originally thought!

Commodore, we will definitely have a chance to talk at the Ft. Taylor event.

Matty, I had to let that pistol go a couple years back when my septic tank needed replaced. The hanger you mention I still have,but it turned out to be a real sick story. After several years of trying to identify (unsuccessfully) that blade while it was still in its original bayonet state, I made the cutlass you saw from it. Just about two years ago, while browsing an antique auction site, I saw an identical bayonet listed. It turns out that it was a RARE ORIGINAL SPENCER NAVAL ISSUE BAYONET! :( Only 800 were made for the Union Navy. On the bright side (if there is one), most of those ended up modified to swords similar to what I did with mine as they were too unwieldly on those Spencer carbines. The blade is nearly as long as the weapon itself.

OK, enough of the bunny-trail.

I am really jazzed about building this wheel lock carbine. It should be fun to shoot.

Bo