might as well put this thread in it's proper place if this is not it...

proudly show off your bargain finds

recently, connie found a wide brimmed wool felt hat for 5$

two queen size, brand new, thick @ss wool blankets for 20$ each

and a glass and wood lantern for 4$ that has excellent ventilation

two wooden spoons for a $

But William, didn't you score a sweet bowl? Also, can I call you "Billy Brand"?

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

DSCN2255.jpg

Oh, I dig those little channels to get your thumb under to replace the glass. Yeah, I dig that a lot.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

But William, didn't you score a sweet bowl?

Aye.

525795_4699024716294_1683966998_n.jpg

Also, can I call you "Billy Brand"?

No.

william, your hats have gone awol ??

Yep. And that score of yours is making me miss one of my hats in particular. I was forced to attend the Utah Pirate Festival without the wide brim and the tricorn and I still haven't found them. Also missing are my haversack and my ditty bag, but I did find that sweet bowl.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lucked into a Goodwill at just the right time.

IMG_9294.JPG

Got a redware bowl, two Shirley of Williamsburg plates, three each goblets and mugs and a five-cup cast iron pot (can you say stew for one?) all for $30. You'll probably see that pot and some of the other stuff at FTPI in LESS THAN A WEEK! Oh, sorry about the outburst.

Anybody out there got a 6.5 inch iron or copper lid I can beg, barter or steal? If not then I'll probably hammer out a domed iron one after the first of the year.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 2 weeks later...

At FTPI I was jealous of Iron Jon's wine bucket, as I didn't have one to put my Chardonnay in. Even in a careening camp such niceties could be had from aboard ship, especially since Captain Southard is always away. So I found this at one of my local Goodwill stores while looking for pewter, small jars and cast iron. Solid brass, $10, marked down from $20:

IMG_1703.jpg

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Nice find, I need to get one myself. The wine bucket at our camp was left behind by someone during the night and I left it out hoping they'd come back for it. They never returned to claim it and it ended up in Fayma's lost and found on Monday.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)