Ship's Stores

William Brand

Ahoy, the Mercury!

With the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion fast approaching, and with so many events happening year round in Florida (and the Midwest), I thought we should broach the subject of 'ship's stores'.

We already have numerous 'stores' in the keeping of individual members of the crew. We also have many goods housed year round by John and Janet in Missouri, but I'm hoping to set up larger stores in key places around the country if we have some crew members willing to store them. These would house such things as canvas (tents, ground cloths, tarps, tent flies, etc.), lanterns, line, cordage, stakes, poles, etc.

Most of the 'group buy' items and Mercury objects that were left at Fort Taylor over the years have 'grown legs' and disappeared, so we're looking to house new items under the roof of crew members in strategic places around the country to cut down on the need to ship or travel with gear that is too cumbersome to move about. We would also mark these items for the Mercury crew.

For example, I would keep a growing camp of items for the Utah Pirate Festival, so anyone traveling to attend said event wouldn't require anything more than their basic kit when flying or driving. I've already begun collecting furniture, canvas, poles, lighting etc, for next year's event, which I will keep stored in my outbuildings throughout the year.

I would also like to keep a list here on the Pub that shows what we can use from one event to another. Please sound off if you can store items year round for the Mercury and which events are conveniently located near you.

Ship's Stores:

Florida:

(Iron Jon)
Canvas, Line & Poles:
1 dining fly with poles and stakes
3 ground cloth/tarp
Assorted rolls of line
large wall tent, poles, and stakes
small wedge tent, poles and stakes

Fire and cooking:
2 small braziers
Large camp skillet and asst cast iron cookware
Plates, bowls, utensils, etc
large dutch oven with tripod
cooking grate for campfire

Furniture:
1 wooden table
3 stools
2 beds

Lighting:
6 lanterns
1 candle box (maybe 50 candles?)

Storage:
1 large wooden camp box for food and cookware
1 medium cooler w/ canvas cover
1 large cooler w/ canvas cover
1 insulated water container w/ canvas cover
1 cedar sea chest for clothing

Midwest:

(Thatchers)
Canvas, Line & Poles:

3 tents

awnings

Poles

ground cloths

rugs

Furniture:
tables

chairs

chests

Lighting:
lanterns and homemade candles galore

Utah:

(William Brand)

Canvas, Line & Poles:
1 dining fly (12' x 15' )
2 ground cloth/tarp (4' x 12' and 6' x 9')
1 tablecloth/tarp (4' x 6')
Assorted small hemp line
8 rustic aspen poles

Fire and cooking:
Large dish brazier with stand
Cooking tongs
Large camp skillet
Plates, bowls, trenchers, drinkware
spoons, ladles, knives

10 horn spoons

Furniture:

1 small folding table
1 folding card table
5 small stools
2 high back chairs

1 small book desk

1 drop front secretary desk

2 Windsor chairs

Lighting:
2 lanterns
1 candle box (6 candles)

Personal Gear and Kit:
5 walking sticks
misc clothing

Storage:
1 large tent box
1 medium storage box
2 small storage boxes

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

just as a side note, anyone needing to borrow in the midwest... we currently have 3 tents, awnings, tables, chairs, lanterns galore ( starting to be a lantern whore since i started to make my own candles ), ground cloths, rugs ( nice to soften the hard ground ) chests, but not much to spare in the clothing dept.

capt. bo has graciously lended tents etc., at various times, but he is also hard to get ahold of at times

• 2 weeks later...

capt. bo has graciously lended tents etc., at various times, but he is also hard to get ahold of at times

As all nefarious associates are (hee-hee)

Always willing to help visiting crew enjoy their stay. Our land-line is the most reliable source for contact.

Bo

I'm in central Florida have a trailer that holds my camp gear with plenty of room to spare. I would be willing to store some of the Mercury Crew's gear for FTPI or Saint Augustine or any other southeast events. If I can't make it to an event for some reason or another then anyone with a trailer hitch would be welcome to come by and take it. It seemed like the Mercury Crew ended up hanging around my camp last few events I've attended so we might as well combine forces. I could also receive gear by mail and bring it along with me to Key West if needed.

Using Williams list as an example I have the following -

Canvas, Line & Poles:

1 dining fly with poles and stakes

3 ground cloth/tarp

Assorted rolls of line

large wall tent, poles, and stakes

small wedge tent, poles and stakes

Fire and cooking:

2 small braziers

Large camp skillet and asst cast iron cookware

Plates, bowls, utensils, etc

large dutch oven with tripod

cooking grate for campfire

Furniture:

1 wooden table

3 stools

2 beds

Lighting:

6 lanterns

1 candle box (maybe 50 candles?)

Storage:

1 large wooden camp box for food and cookware

1 medium cooler w/ canvas cover

1 large cooler w/ canvas cover

1 insulated water container w/ canvas cover

1 cedar sea chest for clothing

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

We hang about your tent, because you present such a hospitable camp and supply a generous table.

Well, hopefully I can live up to expectations this year. Paula won't be camping this time so I guess it'll be up to me to try and keep the table supplied with goodies. I will try and pick up a few more seats for use around the table before I get there too.

Back to gear... I also have a small supply of firearms and an extra sword w/ baldric that I can bring along to loan out to someone who is traveling and can't bring theirs. I still need to get the flintlocks upgraded to comply with the new rules. I'm going to be ordering at least 5 flash guards and hammer stalls this week so I'll have 2 pistols, 2 muskets, and the blunderbuss ready to go.

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

• 3 months later...

Aye, we should erect some boundary markers on that site, have the Fort just deed it over to the Mercury crew. And yes, Jon provided a most welcoming camp. Display Area. Demonstration Station. Grandstand. Supper Table. Thing.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 9 months later...