Dutchman

thanks william,

I know we have flogged the knife horse to bits. I always have a knife on me and this knife has been with me aboard for years. I'm really looking forward to having a proper spike on the belt now. I had been using a modified rail spike- a bit clumsy. This is also the belt that is always on me doing events. I tell ya, I feel neeked without it.

Damn that would go well with my minimalism sailor reenactment togs.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

backseat driving... i should have placed a bit more of a space between the knife handle and the spike. when i reach for the knife i catch my fingertips on the spike.

It's not backseat driving when it's your kit. Now for some real backseat driving: I see that the knife handle has a slight cant, an angle. Given that I would suggest you switch positions and put the knife in the back slot. Now I realize that this means rebuilding the whole thing. In the mean time, rounding off the fat end of the marlinespike, make it more of a ball, would smooth out the extraction.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

thank you for the compliment michael. Having two beautiful and functional pieces you made, it makes quite a nice show.

Jim, i hear what you're saying about the placement. The cant was set when the rig was baking- not sure how it got there, i believe the shrinking leather found the path of least resistance. I wonder if soaking and rebaking would allow a fix? I work from the center line of my body out so the knife is the first thing I naturally want to get to in an emergency. Its just years of muscle memory. The spike is going to take some tuning and playing to get right. It has some meat hooks around the edges so it will need to be filed. I may end up building a new sheath if i can't get it working- oh well.

What if you cut a hole in the bottom of the face layer on the spike side only to allow the spike to seat further down? I t would be out of the way of your knife, and no re-working of the entire kit. Just a thought,

'Til the Morrow,
Cap'n Bloody Sam Rackham
Captain o' The Cursed Few
Co Organizer o' The Southern Pirate Festival
Ship's Carpenter o' The Atlanta Pirates & Wenches Guild

Member of Order of Leviathan 2nd Generation