Ocracoke Pirate Jamboree

Dutchman

Ocracoke Island!

October 27th, 2012

Party on the Island of Black Beards banyan with Steede Bonnet. Blackbeards crew will be hosting the one day event in company with the Devilmen of Cape Fear and Meka II. Unfortunately there is no walk on camping but there are hotel and B&B rooms a'plenty as well as several of the Island reataurants are doing deals or packages for pirates. We hope to see everyone there.

http://www.ocracokecurrent.com/41450

this is only the first year of the jubilee so we are hoping for more folks next year . we have been there for about five years in november for the memorial service and have been working on this for a while. WE are excited that kevin duffus (lookingglass here on the pub) will also be on the island with copies of his books. We are doing a conference call tomorrow with the island staff. I'll have housing details for visiting folks after that!

• 2 weeks later...

ahoy all!

plans are well underway and this is looking great!We had a conference call last week to work on the particulars. The days activities include cannon fire, raids, seabattles, scallawag school, living history and roving acts of pyracy! Below is the events facebook site, which has listings for the islands hotels etc... there is also a camp ground on the island for anyone interested in that front. Several of the Island restaurants are cutting deals but I don't have info on the specifics yet. Also, there is only one grocery store on the island so please plan accordingly. The ferry schedule is also posted. Coming from the outer banks the hatteras ferry is what you need. If you're coming from the mainland, you want the swan quarter ferry, which also is the approximate course Blackbeard followed on his return from the mainland. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

http://www.facebook....186552064811019

http://www.ncdot.gov/ferry/

Aye, good news on Ocracoke! Can't imagine a better place; great water, great village, great folks, and with the real history to boot!

For those going, there is also the ferry from Cedar Island, just up the way from Beaufort, NC, It may be more convenient for those coming from a southerly direction, depending on where you're coming from. Just check the schedule at the www.ncdot.gov/ferry link. Also gives a chance to see where the Queen Anne's Revenge met its end, and the NC Maritime museum there (NC has a few spread along the coast, one Southport, one in Beaufort, and one in Hatteras (link below).

http://www.ncmaritimemuseums.com/

• 2 weeks later...

"— Such a Day, Rum all out: — Our Company somewhat sober: — A damn'd Confusion amongst us! — Rogues a plotting; — great Talk of Separation. — So I look'd sharp for a Prize; — such a Day took one, with a great deal of Liquor on Board, so kept the Company hot, damned hot, then all Things went well again."

Plans are done and the crews are gathering! Hope to see all there!

......and an update for visiting pirates. below is the link for the legal stuff. in the rules for reenactors disregard the muster times. we will be setting up friday morning and afternoon, then breaking down sunday. If anyone is available, we would love the help! Saturday muster is at 0900- festvial opens at ten.

WEAPONS- Tis a weapon cary friendly venue, but the island is playing off our rules. Pointy things need to be in a scabbard. Sharp things need to not fall into others hands. Please mind your surroundings when doing pictures. BOOM STICKS NEED NOT RANDOMLY BOOM! No- flash guards needed though... sorry, couldn't help myself. Alcohol and weapons of any sort don't mix at any time! If you want to shoot, let us know. If we get a warm and fuzzy with your description of how you shoot, we'll check your weapon and issue powder. Hint, read the black powder manual located in the link below.

http://www.blackbeardscrew.org/Visiting_Pirates

pesky hurricanes! making calls now.........

*edit-update*

ok- here we go. it's now a hurricane themed pirate festival. It's still on! So here's the skinny. If we have to evacuate- you come first....... right after me.

• 2 weeks later...

ahoy all. due to the nor' easter blowing in this week, the islands chamber of commerce has canceled the blackbeard Jubilee this year. Seems they are already planning on taking three weeks to get the roads cleared as it is. The good news is>>>> The Jubilee has been confirmed on the schedule for next year- now, will mother nature cooperate?

ahoy larry,

we fared well! The cover took a bit of stress but were fixing that. I went by to check on things and animals were lined up two by two waiting to board, a bit ominous. We were onboard this weekend working. I'm hoping to get a blog up shortly. how did you make out?

• 3 weeks later...

Who exactly do I have to kill to get my airfare to this event paid?

Ocracoke - possibly my favourite place on the planet.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The third attempted, first annual...................

August 7, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Ocracoke-Hatteras to present Blackbeard’s Pirate Jamboree

OCRACOKE--The Hatteras-Ocracoke Council of the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce will present Blackbeard’s Pirate Jamboree, a weekend pirate fest Friday, Oct. 25 to Sunday, Oct. 27, on Ocracoke and Hatteras islands.
Chief activity of the jamboree will be a historically authentic encampment Saturday by Blackbeard’s Pirate Crew, a 12-member living history organization from Hampton, VA., from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the grounds of the historic Wahab House, 161 Irvin Garrish Highway, Ocracoke.
The festival will begin Friday evening with a meet-and-greet at Hatteras Landing with a dozen of the pirates from the crew. Among the re-enactors will be Captain Horatio Sinbad and the Devilmen of Cape Feare, who will arrive in boats and conduct and authentic ship-to-ship battle on Saturday. The 10-person Devilmen on their longboat The Flory, will battle with Sinbad and his crew on the Meka II.
Other activities for the festival include a scavenger hunt in Ocracoke Village, book signings, sing-alongs and a memorial remembrance Sunday morning at 10 at Springer’s Point, the site of the demise of Edward Teach, known as Blackbeard.
“We wanted to have an event to promote the area in the shoulder seasons on both islands,” said Daphne Bennink, an Ocracoke business owner who spearheaded the event. “This was Blackbeard’s favorite place and we want it to span both islands.”
This is the first year of this jamboree (despite its having to be canceled in 2011 and 2012 due to hurricanes), building up to a grand event in 2018--the 300th anniversary of Blackbeard’s death.
Organizers want the yearly dates for the event to be the last week in October.
Updates will be posted on the website www.piratejamboree.com and the Facebook page: Ocracoke/Hatteras Pirate Jamboree.