Pirate fiddle, a work in progress

Fox

So, a friend recently suggested I should make a 'pirate' violin. I mulled the idea over for a few weeks and yesterday started work. I'm not going to give anything away until it's done, partly because I think it'll be fun to surprise folks and partly because ideas might change on the way and I don't want my original plans being held against me.

So here's day 1 progress:

543528_10152065723295029_844238308_n.jpg

418814_10152066530125029_2135623226_n.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

That's very cool. Is it made of wood? Are you planning to fix it permanently or make it removable?

Hmm.

Now you just need some matching boots.

FW2038.png

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Ha! I already have the boots ;)

The skull is carved in maple, to match the neck of the violin, and will be permanently fixed by the time the whole thing is finished.

I ought to add that I'm making this on speculation, but when it's finished it will be going up for sale.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Day 2 was mostly spent working on the soundboard...

375841_10152070711045029_804429753_n.jpg

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

...and a bit of time this evening on the tailpiece with a replica 2 escudo coin inset.

557320_10152071132960029_1285199213_n.jpg

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Day 2 was mostly spent working on the soundboard...

375841_10152070711045029_804429753_n.jpg

That...well that there...is a very fine design. I like that you've charted the sounding depths and the sparse vegetation decorations and minimalistic civilization marks. It has a nice period flavor. Will the surface be this 'bone' color?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Will the surface be this 'bone' color?

Um, no. Accepting the limitations of late-night flash photography, it's going to be this colour:

546001_10152073114960029_1050300060_n.jpg

(Today was mostly spent varnishing, sanding, varnishing again, sanding more, and repeat...)

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

No clue why but I originally pictured the skull as the sound board/base of the fiddle. Figured the "neck" would come out of the top of the skull and the bottom jaw would be elongated to have the "playing area" between the top teeth and the bottom teeth. Have to admit this looks right pretty as it were. Having the skull at the top of the neck with the inset coin and the map on the sound board gives it a certain flair.

Thanks PoD, glad you like it - it was your wife who started this!

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

A better photo of the soundboard in daylight (and the fingerboard is fitted):

216830_10152077149070029_63906198_n.jpg

I think I'll call him Roger...

399128_10152077148860029_646336934_n.jpg

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

My work here is done.

303642_10152078060915029_1568642067_n.jpg

643952_10152078061100029_1655441420_n.jpg

419322_10152078060040029_12929378_n.jpg

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Thanks all!

Deadly work! Is your next project going to be a pirate Hardanger?

Ah, what a lovely idea... No, my next project (believe it or not) is going to be a pirate ukelele, possibly followed by a Robert E. Lee fiddle.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Then what you need is an inspirational instrument. Fortunately, there's one for sale on eBay now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261093679884

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Tis a lovelly instrument but with the economy across the pond the way it is me pockets are a mite shallow.....Had a good laugh when I saw up under the photos the sell one like this caption.....hell there ain't another one like it! Beautifull craftsmanship Mr. Foxe.....Beautifull craftsmanship...........

The violin fidle is something I've allways wanted to master....but I have a hard time playing a radio...

I used to play tennis, but I had to quit when the neighbours complained that I was making too much of a racquet.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

The violin fidle is something I've allways wanted to master....but I have a hard time playing a radio...

I used to play tennis, but I had to quit when the neighbours complained that I was making too much of a racquet.

I used to play the guitar......My wife said I tortured the guitar!