Pirate Museum in Nassau Bahamas

Oscar Henry

i will be going to the Bahamas for my Company cruise next month and will be heading up the Pirate Museum in full garb on the 22nd, SO... if anybody will be in the area i would be more than happy to oblige you with a beer at a fantastic Greek cafe i found while there last year, i will also be doing some scuba diving at cocoa cay.

We have been there many times.......take a tour of the Fort ...its interesting.......also if you have time see if you can find someone to take you to the caves......its were the pirates hung out also. We will be there in November.......

Yo Ho.......

when i was there last year a few of us went to the museum and the caves (i loved the little tiki bar right outside) and i found an awesome Greek restaurant right on the main drag... im hoping to get pictures of me in my gard on the beach like a washed up shipwreck like someone did on here lol

• 3 weeks later...

Well, scupper me hide...I've been to that museum, a cunning little place it is, too. I'd like to see more goodies in the gift shop, but that's a minor consideration. I've visited Nassau twice now, by way of Carnival Pride. Next cruise, I'm planning on taking out a day pass for the British Colonial Hilton, which stands on the site of the old Fort Nassau, what Hornigold and Neddy Teach renovated for their use...

Damn, thats sharp!

• 2 months later...

I'm curious if anyone else had trouble getting a taxi back from the fort? When I went I few years ago, it was easy to get a cab out there, but it wasn't a cruise ship day and there weren't any cabs waiting at the fort. I had all manner of trouble finding a way to get a ride back to town...

• 7 months later...

I was to the Pirate Museum in April of 2013. Nice little place. One thing that really impressed me was that they had the correct gun carriages in their dioramas and in the other cannon on display. Too often the bed-less new english pattern of 1720 is used for any naval carriage, and it is improper in my understanding for most of the period for Pirates. The older pattern was continued to be used on most Spanish and French guns way past 1720's.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Littleneckhalfshell,

I'm interested in the proper naval cannon carriages of the time. Can you show me where to look for examples?

Is there a good website that shows the difference in carriages of the different time periods?

I wish I could afford to go to Nassau and some of the surrounding islands to see pirate related things. My sister went there on her honeymoon back in the 1960s.

-Tar Bucket Bill

• 6 months later...

if you look at pictures from say the Mary Rose or other warships prior to the early 1700's you will see that the sides are built upon a solid base whereas the new english pattern of roughly 1720 does away with the solid base and just uses cross pieces with the sides being the major structure of the carriage Here hopefully is a picture I took at the Nassau Pirate museum of one of their dioramas with a cannon carriage of the earlier type.

fullbedcarriage.png

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I