Pirate Movies to get in the right mindset

HBlackthorne

Since I am working on a list myself, I figure you all might have some ideas as well. I know some of us will have a CD with "pirate music" on it to listen to on the way to a show site or what-have-you, but taking that idea a bit further,....the question is what movies would you put on a list for something to watch before a show [like maybe the two days preceding it] to get in to that right mindset? Now this does not necessarily mean the best portrayals or costuming or anything like that,....but what movies give you the right "vibe" or "feeling" to put you mind in the right space to play a pirate?

I need to go watch M&C again to refresh my memory. I always use it to highlight the discussion on trepanning and forget to mention the parts about amputation, the use of bite sticks and other medical procedures it presents. (A fan pointed out a procedure two weekends ago that I had completely forgotten them presenting - I believe it was bullet extraction.) It's one of the better movies out there for highlighting period medical procedures. Plus I really like the doctor's character. I should just go buy it, really.

As for the question... I don't watch specific movies in advance of an event. I just switch on the surgeon by setting out my instruments. Events are their own movies and I don't want to alter their tone by presetting my expectations.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Treasure Island (1990) with Charlton Heston as Long John and Christian Bale as Jim Hawkins and Oliver Reed as Billy Bones. Music was by Paddy Moloney and the Chieftains.

Edited by Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 2 weeks later...

Treasure Island (1990) with Charlton Heston as Long John and Christian Bale as Jim Hawkins and Oliver Reed as Billy Bones. Music was by Paddy Moloney and the Chieftains.

Agreed! Sound track is not available to my knowledge but songs may be collected individually.

Jib -

Treasure Island music by the Chieftains is on their CD 'Reel Cuts' which is a compilation of their film scores.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed on Heston's Treasure Island. I'll also watch Cutthroat Island. Not piratical or period, but I also tend to watch one or more of the Sharpe movies. Gets me into a good, fighting, anti authority mood.

Hawkyns

Master Gunner

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey Bright! ...WOW Loved that vid! Thank you very much ~

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 5 weeks later...

Eye went and bought the full length movie. It was exciting to watch.. To me it was up there with the likes of Rob Roy.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 2 years later...

I know I be pullin' this thread from Davy Jones' Locker, but I just wanted to chime in with one of me favorites.

I know the actin' be deplorable, and what not but...Cutthroat Island.

I have a fierce love for it because I watched it many, MANY times as a young lad...either that or it was just Geena Davis...

My favorite movie on this topic is Polanski's "Pirates" and it sets me in a good mood, because it's a very well made movie although the story itself is a little to thin.
They did a very good job in the casting for even the smaller roles and Walter Mattau is outstanding in performing his Captain Red. I was very suprised how well Mattau did his fighting scenes, he was 65 then and had to perform with a pegleg. In my oppinion the costumes were very good and the ship (The Neptune - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune_%28galleon%29) itself looked very accurate.

For sheer entertainment I like "The Crimson Pirate", it's a lot of fun and the music is quite inspiring.

Signature%20640px.jpg

Master and commander is the go to movie for me. But while sitting and stitching leather or whatever I'm working on, I will watch Last of the Mohicans, the 1st POC, Treasure Island (Charleton Heston) and sometimes Firefly!

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Polanski's 'Pirates' a fun movie with a lot of interesting characters. However the movie is difficult to find here I believe due to Polansi's legal problems here in the US.

Another breezy pirate flick I've always enjoyed is Swashbuckler with Robert Shaw.

Jas. Hook

• 3 weeks later...