Leather gloves with lace

Jib

Some backstory first: I do stage combat and one thing required is a decent pair of leather gloves. The leather protects the hands should a blade slip past the hilt. Most stage combat weapons develope burs on the blade that can also cause injury. That said I found a beautiful set of long leather rose gloves that will fit my needs very well. The problem is that the gloves have a nasty logo on the back of the hand.

So I'm considering disguising the logo. I thought maybe some lace. Yeah it's foppish but I am a fancy fellow. Any ideas?

Get an additional piece of leather and make a flap that will cover the area. Then, attach a strap to the bottom and secure it around your wrist. Think of it as additional protection.

'Til the Morrow,
Cap'n Bloody Sam Rackham
Captain o' The Cursed Few
Co Organizer o' The Southern Pirate Festival
Ship's Carpenter o' The Atlanta Pirates & Wenches Guild

Member of Order of Leviathan 2nd Generation

A thin brass plate or leather patch sized to cover the logo, riveted or stitched down. :huh:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

They could also be embroidered. If that is beyond your skill set, perhaps an applique that looks like period embroidery? For that matter, can you turn the logo into something else?

Embroidery is way out of my skill set! The logo say (are you ready for this!) "Woman's World" with a very modern looking globe. Tough pirate wearing women's rose gloves!

Tack on pre done embroidered pieces?

399326.jpg

You can buy 'iron on' embroidery, just sew it instead.

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Oh the pic is a pair of mens gloves circa 1680-1700 and they were the least fancy set that turned up when I image searched '17thc embroidered gloves mens'

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Tack on pre done embroidered pieces?

399326.jpg

You can buy 'iron on' embroidery, just sew it instead.

That pre-done embroidery was what I meant by "applique". Not sure it's the correct term, but you can find the stuff in the bridal trim section of fabric stores in the States.

• 1 year later...

I ended up placing a patch of leather over the design. It worked okay but didn't look the best. The patched pulled off after the season was over. They are on my shop bench awaiting a new treatment. Perhaps a dye job?

• 3 weeks later...

hmm, are they thick? try getting some suede and hand stitching it a fancy suede cutout on it. I recommend hand stitching because you can force the needle through with a thimble and if it proves difficult you get a feel for it and decide whether or not you wanna continue. You could also get some lace and put it on to make it fancier, the logo shouldn't be too noticeable.

Let every man Know freedom, Kings be damned,

And let the Devil sort out the mess afterwards.