Review of a Sparrow Flintlock made in India

Commodore Swab

As many know you get what you pay for in a flintlock.

Recently I was requested to work on a "Sparrow pistol" one of a limited number made in India with the attempt to reproduce the pistol used by Jack Sparrow in the POTC films. After having worked on a number of india built guns I would have to say that the craftsmanship on the one I was working on was far below the "India" standards and has required extensive work to bring it up to a decent fireable weapon. In short problems ranged from ugly shape, poor sand casting detail, downright bad lock geometry, improper tension in springs, and many other little bits.

id.jpg

Some forges are better than others in India ...I have always heard that Indian guns were crap from so many reenactors who will only use Pedersoli or other "western manufacturers" because they claim the guns are more like the originals in quality ...My answar to that is Bull! I have worked on many originals and since they too are entirely handmade and parts hand-forged the Indian made guns are or can be just as reliable as originals while the computer controlled parts are more consistant and interchangeable like modern guns.

With a little tuneing most India guns can be made much more reliable, say 14/20 pan flashes. I test te reliability of a lock by loading the pan only and flashing it, reloading flashing with no cleaning/knapping between shots. To get a lock to pass my requirements of reliability It must deliver 20 flashes of the pan with 90% or better, in other words 20/22 is the lowest score possible. With work on an India gun I can usually get it to this point, usually some welding and cutting is required for this level of tuneing. I took my pendersoli (harpers ferry) to this level of tuneing and WOW so much more work than an India gun, all the parts were well made but just not quite right.

id.jpg