Deceptive Marketing- "William Augustus Bowles Museum and Historica

MadMike

A warning to anyone intending to visit the non-existent "William Augustus Bowles Museum and Heritage Foundation" in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. First, the "museum" does not exist, and is a room in the local Chamber of Commerce. It is a collection of mardi-gras style outfits and memorabilia from past "Billy Bowlegs" pirate festivals; any further similarities to the actual historical figure of William Augustus Bowles, or actual pirates who operated in the Gulf of Mexico, stops there.

The "museum" can be seen here-

http://bowlegsmuseum.com/Photo_Albums/Pages/Open_House.html

As you can see, there is no historical background at the "museum" regarding William Augustus Bowles, and Bowles, as shown by historical documentation, never stepped foot in what is now Fort Walton Beach.

Bowles certainly existed, but he was known as "Estajoca" by the Creek Indians (Muskogee) and operated out of St. Marks, Florida, which is over 150 miles away (as the crow flies).

"Billy Bowlegs" and any association with William Augustus Bowles, was a fabrication of the Fort Walton Beach Jaycees in 1953, who created the myth to attract tourists during boat and ski shows. The myth has grown thanks in part to poor journalism on the part of local reporters at the Northwest Florida Daily News, and a poorly researched book on local history by Anthony Mennillo.

A recent radio broadcast on WFTW 1260 AM included an interview with two members of the "foundation". Their knowledge was certainly very limited, and the main focus was fundraising to pay for their salaries and intention to build a museum to house their collection of mardi gras costumes (not to mention a push for the public to donate cash, research, momento's, and a life estate or two).

So, ye have been warned.

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

As a member of the recreated unit of Maryland Loyalists to which William Augustus Bowles belonged, I find this rather disappointing. The man was definitely a

"character", but I've never run across anything that linked him to piracy. Political manipulation and manouvering, sure, but not piracy. In fact, considering his presence among the elite in England in his efforts to forward his cause, I sincerely doubt any connection. He might be charged with desertion, but that was hardly the same thing.

Thanks for the warning, I will pass this along to the rest of the gang!

Jen

I had a talk with the unit commander, we did some digging through books, and read the website description of Bowles posted by the "museum". Turns out we'd had a talk about this piece of writing from the museum just recently, although I didn't know that was the source (these things spread like kudzu). The whole thing starts when Bowles' being an ensign is misunderstood. He was an ensign, but that is an 18C military name for the guy who is responsible for carrying the flags (the ensign), and it is the lowest commissioned position, iirc. It's not a position in the Navy. And the errors go on from there. If anyone is interested in reality instead of modern myth, PM me and I can have our Captain share a list of sources on the real William Augustus Bowles. Colorful, he certainly was, but pirate, no.

Egads! Just had a mental image of pyrates trying to look like the Bowles portrait where he's "gone native". What a train wreck!