Courtly costume

Easy to answer Jib, just like some modern kids wear their pants so low they can't even run.... the gents aren't wearing their swords ready for use but to look cool. High fashion is meant to look good not be functional (in many contexts)... if you want function dress like a soldier of the period, you'll note period images of soldiers have their swords worn at s more reasonable level.

Michael_banner.jpg

I've always noticed that High Fashion swings between extremes, excesses of either cloth or skin. Either the style shows too much of the anatomy or piles on enough cloth to make a tent. In our period, especially early on, the massive ammounts of cloth seemed to be the norm: long coats and waistcoats, massively blousy shirts and pants, gigantic cuffs. The only thing showing (on men) being the hands and the face and even then the hands obscured by lace and cuffs. It must have taken an hour to dress, and half an hour to...ah...answer the call of nature. If you want function in relation to men's court costume, look to pictures of duels, hunting clothes, riding outfits. Courtly expeditions into the field combined manly pursuits with the normal posturing and excess that went on at court. I imagine that the clothing combinations would be better suited to playing outdoors at pyrate events while still clinging to the basic need to be excessive in execution. Mind you, I'm just ruminating here...not even beginning to be an authority in this, just thinkin'.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...