DIY Black Powder

MasterGunsmith

I am wanting to start making my own powder now that I have a cannon to feed(goex is far to expensive).

were is a good source for quality ingredients ie Sulfur, Kno3, etc..

I know there are many ways to get them, but would like to know were the most reputable places to get them.

I'd also be interested in hearing your favorite recipes.

Adam's right. If it isn't just right, homemade black powder isn't something I'd want around. Goex is worth the expense not to blow up or damage anything, which would cost even more.

That said, if your deadly serious, there's info on-line. Just be VERY careful!

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Black powder can indeed be made at home, however if not done carefully, it can get dangerous. Making GOOD black powder is a fairly involved multi-step process, starting with the purity of ingredients, and properly preparing all of the components. There are only three ingredients, but it must be made properly for satisfactory results. Considering what is involved to do it correctly and safely, you are far better off buying commercially made powder.

Don't do it. We don't want to hear about somebody blowing themselves up. It reflects on all of us. Plus, to make the amount needed for a cannon would require a huge investment in materials and equipment, far more than just buying the powder.

Just FYI, If I find that someone has been making or adulterating their powder, and I am in charge of the line, they will be stood down.

Hawkyns

Master Gunner.

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I seem to remember a documentary of the Dupont company in its infancy. Every several years they were set back because their powder factory blew up.

That was a place of business, not a home. Think carefully.

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Listen to folks who have years and decades of experience in ths hobby.

1) tools and equipent and high grade raw materials are likely to require much more of an investment then say a couple of cases of BP from one of the on-line dealers. And you still have to make it all work together. Unless you work at Disney and are firing every day or weekend, you have a lot of catching up before you break even - if ever - see note #2.

2) See as how BP is an explosive and not an accelerant like smokeless powder, it is subject to detonation by pressure.Whack a grain of BP hard enough and it will explode. In order to make good BP, there is a certain amount of grinding to acheive the right grain size. If not done by proffessionals - you will go BOOM.

3) Quadruple your house insurance, but DONT tell the Ins company why. An ex GF woked for a BIG insurance company, one of the few female underwriters at that time. She got fired for wrting a policy for a fireworks factory. It later blew up. Grucci, the best known fireworks maker in the USA, if not the world, lost a factory same way. It blew up.

4) Let us all know where you live, because I certainly do not want to live next door to someone who is making homemade black power, and I daresay no one else does either.

Advice - if you need that much Goex, there are discounts available for large purchases ( up here in NY and New England , that is limited to 50 lbs).

Good luck. Seek ye the web board on greybeardoutdoors, they have a specific one for black powder cannons.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

Frankly buying Goex is a lot easier and probably cheaper in the long run than being tied up with BATFE, not to mention safer. Have ye checked with them regarding all the permits ye might need to produce large quantities of powder, before they come knocking on yer door?

I don't think claiming one is a pirate will sit well with them....

Not to mention, homemade powder won't sit well with most safety officers, or event hosts that cover the event insurance.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The idea is to only make small qty at a time no more then a pound at a time. I do not shoot my cannon at events just shoot blanks with it (salutes) on my property.

I agree that to the novice, this can be dangerous, I have done it before, and I have also handled far more dangerous explosives (HE) while in the military. I know how to handle it safely and with all the respect it deserves.

Also no I do not make it in the house.

I also live out in the boonies far from neighbors.

I quess y'all missed the point of this post, what I was asking was if anyone knew a good distributor of good quality/pure ingredients.

I used to make my own powder several years ago when I was realy into shooting black powder firearms. Then I whent a spell of using mostly modern smokeless firearms, so there was no reason to make it anymore, considering a 1lb can of goex would last me a whole year.

Now that I'm back into black powder, and have a cannon I thought it would be a good to start doing it again.

If you would feel better not disscusing such matters on this forum I would understand, and would be willing to post of it no more.

The Max without license according to the ATF is 50lbs

Thanks for all your concern, and comments.

• 1 month later...

2010 South Carolina Code

Title 23 - Law Enforcement and Public Safety

CHAPTER 36 - EXPLOSIVES CONTROL ACT

(1) "Explosive materials" means any explosive, blasting agent, water gel, detonator, or other item contained in the "List of Explosive Materials" published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF).

NOTE The BATF classified Black Powder after September the 11th as an Explosive

http://law.justia.com/codes/south-carolina/2010/title23/chapter36/

Edited by Bright

• 2 weeks later...

No U.S. insurance company will honor a claim related to any type of home-made explosives. Maybe Lloyds of London if you can afford it. No matter where you live, how far from others, or how small the quantity, it just isn't a sound practice. A pounf of 1F for cannon costs about $15-18. Whats your life worth?

Bo