What is your favorite rum to drink/ sip or enjoy 'neat'?

Jib

Lots of small run rum makers are now selling product on a local level. Just curious what your favorite rum is to drink straight without ice or a mix?

Mine? Goslings Black Seal. :D

Black Seal, Pyrate, Kraken are my three choices. If I had to choose one... Kraken... neat.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

If tha lootin be good, Captain Morgan Private Stock. If I've just a few dubloons, Gosling's Black Seal.

Aye, Private Stock be my choice as well. After that, there are a couple of ties, Pyrate and goslings.

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

Ron Atlantico Private Cask. Mmmmm. Pyrat is pretty good too. (Although my favorite pirate drink is stolen mead. ;) )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Interesting that so many people like Captain Morgan. I rather dismissed it as being too large a distiller to create a rum that can be enjoyed without a mix.

It'll make ya put back things ya never stole.

D.B. Couper

Interesting that so many people like Captain Morgan. I rather dismissed it as being too large a distiller to create a rum that can be enjoyed without a mix.

Private Stock is the only one worthy, the rest is mixer from my experience.

mP

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 1 month later...

English Harbour would my favourite neat, Kraken would be me second. Pussar's is also a good rum but a lttle on the dry side fer me.

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

I'm simple . . .

I prefer Blackstrap, then Pyrat. CM Private Stock is pretty good, but a bit sweet.

Pusser's is quite good too. I love Mount Gay, but it's a bit more costly.

When I buy it myself, I get either Blackstrap or Pyrat- dependent upon my mood at the moment and the prices of the store.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Pusser's IS the British Navy rum, for those who don't realize it. When the Royal Navy stopped buying all of it, the manufacturer got permission to sell the rum to the general public.

Whether Pusser's rum gradually changed over its 300 year time as THE RN rum, due to changing tastes of time, or stayed the same (as Pusser's says) is a matter of debate. The present Pusser's IS the stuff used in WW1 and WW2, maybe earlier (how early?).

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After being totally "grossed out" by rum for the longest time....(err...long story, but it involves college), last night I hit my stash and found a nice bottle of Puerto Rican coconut rum. I was so used to Captain Morgans and Black Seal, that I figured that this would basically be the same. It wasn't. Absolutely delicious. I even had a shot of it straight up and it was not harsh at all. Mix it with some orange liqueur and orange juice and you have yourself a delicious beverage.

• 3 weeks later...

Aye, mark me down on the Morgan's Private Stock list...I explain to me more lubberly colleagues here at library that it's like being smashed in the mouth with a fistful of vanilla beans...but in a *good* way...

Besides...its easy to find. Can't lay hooks on Pyrat here, scupper me hide...

Edited by Capn Bob

Damn, thats sharp!

• 2 months later...

I tried Captain Morgan Tattoo last week... god awful sweet syrup. Must be mixed as a drink or thinned out with another rum.

I'll stick with Kraken.

Jas Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Mt. Gay. Neat, wrecked (on the rocks :rolleyes: ) or mixed with a little ginger ale and lime (sort of a fizzy grog, if you will.)

Extra Old is quite good.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum