Peter the Grat's Salor outfit - specifically the hat.

IvanHenry

or looser more cap like

DSCF1076.JPG

Just a few more modifications and you got

! "A man walks down the street in that hat... people know he's not afraid of anything."

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me, must plunder UKPB board for all useful links 'case it goes off again, it'll get renamed HMS Brigadoon if it pulls the disappear reappear thing too many times.

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Here's a gallery of pictures from the the Danish Museum in Copenhagen: https://picasaweb.google.com/103688495868327126656/TextilesInTheDanishMuseumInCopenhagen?authkey=Gv1sRgCNa3296h2Yqm3QE#

There are a number of different hats and gloves, although the hats seem to be of either the PtG variety or of a more standard stocking cap type. It may well be that the "Monmouth" type cap was a purely English thing. Of note: in one of the pictures there is an albeit thread-bare though recognisable thrum cap! And I thought they were extinct.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

Here's a gallery of pictures from the the Danish Museum in Copenhagen: https://picasaweb.go...Na3296h2Yqm3QE#

There are a number of different hats and gloves, although the hats seem to be of either the PtG variety or of a more standard stocking cap type. It may well be that the "Monmouth" type cap was a purely English thing. Of note: in one of the pictures there is an albeit thread-bare though recognisable thrum cap! And I thought they were extinct.

Thanks for those - that is great!

ihtcbanner.jpg

DSC02597-B.jpg

Knitted hat, thick wool, Copenhagen, late 16th or first half of 17th century, National Museum of Denmark

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Since for some reason I cannot edit my latest post I need to put these pictures here.

Following pictures are dutch sailor from 1695-1730 so clearly from Gaop. Note large number of PTGs

None of those appear to be knit from my view...

AN00332211_001_m.jpg

2599126810102177954S600x600Q85.jpg

2854.JPG

The-Cloth-Shop-1709.jpg

Interesting since I think they all are. See e.g picture 1 there is that tab that there is in Monmouths.

and even that PTG hat of Peter The Great don't look knitted but it is.

what are others verdict?

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

I have a PTG hat. It does not hold the shape of the last two examples. The first one is too small for me to have a strong opinion one way or the other, the second image - the Caspar Luiken one, could quite possibly be knit but once again, the brim is holding a shape that mine doesn't. All of this is my supposition though... I am wondering if they were treated with something to stiffen and waterproof them....

ihtcbanner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, we're going to talk ALL about that hat in the Columbus Surgeon's Journal. ;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here we can see PTGs, thrums, simple monmouth style caps, all having a peaceful co-existence with eacothers and with other hats as well.Circa 1690 image

Dutch painting Here left: a man with brimles monmouth on your right and one Ivan Henry looking man with ptg (brown clothes)(I think)... There is also brim hats as well as other caps

the-frigate-de-ploeg-on-the-ij-in-amsterdam.jpg

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

• 2 months later...

Nice. Very very nice.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk