So I got this sweet hat blank....

Pixel Pirate

and I'd like to give it a nice "cavalier flare". Any recommendations on how to make this look a little more authentic and piratey? Is there a way to make it seem a little more warn? Also, don't mind the tiki(s) in the photo...they're the only thing I could find to prop the hat...Oh yes and I got the blank for Townsend. Really stiff felt!

IMAG0860.jpg

Edited by Pixel Pirate

Pix -

Tiki is good.

Make it look worn... wear it! Even if it just on the couch while reading the newspaper or mowing the lawn.

Quite a few folks here wear a flat brim hat as part of their 'look'. Work your way into it, try adding a leather hat band with a brass buckle or add a feather or two or a plain silk ribbon band.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Thanks for the advice, and yes I have seen that thread! Also, Pegleg, I do like it as is, but I'd really like to shape it into a cavalier style. I think it looks better on me head like that. Also a hat band is a great idea! I'll definitely be scoping out period paintings and photos of other's examples.

Naw, I totally get it! You want a little "swagger" in your hat! I personally like the "Barbossa" style as well - which, incidentally, is pretty close to the paintings of cavalier hats from the period (though perhaps a bit early for GAoP, but still... they look wicked cool). I like mine sort of swept up at a rakish 3/4 angle - not quite in front, and not quite on the side. If this is a nice, stout blank, you should theoretically be able to simply steam the proverbial snot out of it and then shape it to your liking without having to actually tack it up on the side. Then add a nice aged leather hat band and some epic plumage and you're ready to go!

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Just to give an idea of what I'm talking about, here are a couple shots of me in said hat:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/scyfygy/59299_451346212752_211504327752_5416190_3397215_n.jpg

parade17.jpg?t=1334292983

And here's one of Cascabel wearing a very similar style:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/scyfygy/PirateGuy.jpg

And lastly some guy I don't know but lots of other people probably do, wearing a similar style, but with the side actually tacked up:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/scyfygy/Crazy.jpg

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

So check out what I've done with my blank! I went rummaging through a family member's jewelry stash (with permission) and found this rather fitting Incan/Aztec/Tribal pin that I decided to decorate my hat with! Thoughts? The pin itself is BARELY long enough to fit through both layers of felt, so i'm finding that the pin itself isn't very secure. Any advice on how to keep it secure 100%?

IMAG0888.jpgIMAG0889.jpg

"...found this rather fitting Incan/Aztec/Tribal pin..." Hummmm...looted by the Spaniards no doubt. ;)

Sew the two pieces of felt together and then pin the pin to the outer layer over the stitching. Throw a couple of hitches around the pinback closure to double secure or a drop of white glue on the catch.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

"...found this rather fitting Incan/Aztec/Tribal pin..." Hummmm...looted by the Spaniards no doubt. ;)

Sew the two pieces of felt together and then pin the pin to the outer layer over the stitching. Throw a couple of hitches around the pinback closure to double secure or a drop of white glue on the catch.

Jas. Hook ;)

There's nothing worse than a bloody Spaniard soiling my seas with their snobbish filth! Bunch o' bilge rats, they are! This Irishman knows his way around a treasure galleon when he sees one. ;)

I have a couple of old broaches I use for hat decorations. I wrap some fine wire around them and basically sew them on with the wire.

I was also thinking of doing this. It's a shame I suck at sewing.......but.......it's fun to give it a shot!